UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2018, 7:00 pm   #21
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: TV viewing behavior.

We still switch off/unplug the TV and its aerial at night, every night which is no great hardship as we ony have one tv in the house (lots in the shed).
The remote control HAS to be returned to its resting spot every night as my wife goes mad if she cant find it the next day.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 8:36 pm   #22
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
I always leave the TV's plugged in, whether the lounge, kitchen or bedroom, all are left on standby. I also have two older LED bar graph mains clocks I leave on 24/7 and two LED lamps at night to aid me at night when requiring a trip to the loo.
The remotes could be anywhere in the morning and the sets goes to standby whether on ITV, BBC2 or Dave.
Sometimes I think people have severe OCD but are too frightened to admit it, same with their collections and hoarding, why keep so much when in reality they will never use it or get round to actually doing anything with it. Sad fact they eventually will pass, then relatives have the burden of disposing stuff they have no idea of what it is, the value and the inclination of doing in the first place after loosing a loved one.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 11:22 pm   #23
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: TV viewing behaviour.

When I was a student in the 1980s I rented a room in a shared house and the homeowner was very proud and very possessive of his new VHS video recorder. Whenever he wanted to record a film he wouldn't let anyone adjust the TV volume or turn the channel over on the TV as he was convinced it would spoil his video recording. So during these times he would set up the TV to display what he wanted to record and the TV had to be left alone for the duration. Any attempts to show that it didn't matter were futile as he had already done his own tests to prove that it did matter. Think in terms of a stubborn, middle-aged yorkshireman if you find this hard to believe

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 5th Sep 2018 at 11:42 pm.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 9:05 am   #24
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Having said that I only experienced lightning damage once I had forgotten about an occasion in the '50s when I was called out to an Ultra TV, valve of course. The customer reported no sound or vision although there was a grainy raster on the screen. After a good deal of head scratching, and having ascertained that the tuner was OK I turned my attention the the aerial feed to it.

Any one who remembers the chassis will visualise the small metal box, open top and bottom around the aerial socket, between the socket tag strip and lead to the tuner were the isolating components, only on this set there weren't any! Completely dissapeared, I thought perhaps someone had cut them but no sign of that - nothing whatsoever, upon replacing them - the picture and sound appeared.

I can only conclude they were vaporised by a lightening strike, no other damage to the set of course as it used valves.

Peter
Old 6th Sep 2018, 12:40 pm   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

Back when watching TV was referred to as "looking in", anecdotally some people covered the screen when not actually doing that, just in case they could be seen from the other end. I have a TV viewers handbook somewhere, not quite as dotty as that, and the rigmarole involved in switching the "instrument" on is quite a ritual. From switching on (volume and brightness turned down) to actually being ready to summon the family to sit down and view is a good 10 minutes plus.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 2:50 pm   #26

I don't have the telly on as background but select a programme to watch. I set it up ready to go (turn off afterwards) and at the appointed hour it goes on, off after the programme.

Old 6th Sep 2018, 5:16 pm   #27
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You're in the minority, Mr Maxwell! It's rare for me to visit a customer that doesn't have the TV on - often a small one pressed into service in front of the faulty set. This is usually early in the day and set to some 'magazine' show - or a shouty 'wash your laundry in public' channel while the kitchen/bedroom TV is loudly advising on moving to Australia.
The excuse is that the TV is on 'for company'. Oddly enough, I prefer to choose my own friends....
Old 6th Sep 2018, 5:22 pm   #28
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I must also be in the minority, I do the same as Maxwell, but yes TV on from morning till night is a very common occurance.

I have probably mentioned it before but when some TV’s had pre pay slot meters, my old boss would go round to empty the meter and find no one in but the TV switched on. The excuse for that was they were saving up with the meter.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 5:52 pm   #29
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Does preferring the sound either slightly too loud or slightly too quiet, rather than let the volume be set to an even number, count? If so, I'm guilty ..... (Prime numbers are the nicest; but if it has to be a multiple of something, at least it shouldn't be a multiple of two. I know you can't actually see it unless you press one of the buttons, but it's painful even just knowing about it.)
Which brings us to my great bugbear.

Why do we need a great graphical slide-rule to appear, and obliterate half the picture, every time we turn the volume up or down a nudge?
Old 6th Sep 2018, 10:26 pm   #30
Refugee
Dekatron

I have heard of people who leave the TV on for their pets especially dogs and also parrots.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 11:23 pm   #31
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I have heard of people who leave the TV on for there pets especially dogs and also parrots.
Fine for modern TV's, but the old CRT sets used to produce a noise that though humans can't hear it the dog could and would annoy them!
Old 7th Sep 2018, 3:26 am   #32
Refugee
Dekatron

I used to visit a mate who had a dog that used to sit bolt upright and watch the telly all the time.
Old 7th Sep 2018, 8:18 am   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Fine for modern TV's, but the old CRT sets used to produce a noise that though humans can't hear it the dog could and would annoy them!
The switch-mode PSUs now used in virtually everything also 'whistle' at the sorts of frequencies likely to upset animals.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 10:41 am   #34
Peter.N.
Dekatron

My wife leaves often the TV on when she goes out 'for the dog' is her excuse, I think she just forgets to turn it off, mind it does stop her barking when someone goes past. (the dog that is).

Peter
Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:13 am   #35
Refugee
Dekatron

Dogs do not like being left alone in a house. At least the TV has pictures of people on it and to some extent it provides them with company.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 12:46 pm   #36
Richard_FM
Nonode

My cousin used to leave the radio on for her dog.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 2:00 pm   #37
Refugee
Dekatron

The dog racing community leave a radio in there kennels to keep there dogs company.
Dogs that get bored just bark at absolutely everything.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 3:50 pm   #38
Dai Corner
Hexode

I go into the guide and schedule my evening's viewing, rarely touching the remote control after that except to adjust the volume if necessary.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 5:06 pm   #39
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Grubhead, I believe you are talking of line time base whistle, picked up by a lot of ladies but not men.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 5:37 pm   #40

Quote:
You're in the minority, Mr Maxwell!
Great to hear, one doesn't want to be ordinary.

Closed Thread