UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2022, 7:15 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Restoration of 1920/30's TRF.

This radio came from Warwick a friend bought it ,later he decided not to bother with it and offered to me , forty sheets changed hands , never mind the stuff on the bench which was swept aside ,as always the last purchase takes priority ,the first thing was to test the valves two out of three not bad (that could be a song ) one had o/c heater ,next thing to check was the two transformers one read o/k the other was o/c secondary the bu:censored er , but luck was on my side for once ,I found green spot on the fine wire where it was soldered to the flex ,I re made the connection not really expecting it to be just that , but it was , also found the rf choke o/c this was re wound ,I connected it to my bench power supply , it worked first time but the slow motion drives were the friction type and were slipping ,so replaced both I had a pair which were cog driven much better .
Now the cabinet it looked like it would have had a door on the front hinged at the bottom ,this piece of wood was replaced , and a new grill made my own design , a couple of coats of black varnish finished the job .oops the third pic was a mistake . Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0004 (7).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	268291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0001 (7).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	268292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0031 (3).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	268293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0005 (7).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	268295  

Last edited by vinrads; 18th Nov 2022 at 7:26 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 7:23 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: restoration of 1920/30's trf

Nice one!
It is like winning the lottery when you have that small stroke of luck

I like TRF's they can sound wonderful.