UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2023, 8:33 pm   #61
Cathovisor
Banned

Default Re: RetrotechUK May 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post

Neither the BVWS committee or the Comic Con event organisers knew there was another event on the same day sharing those facilities.
But surely the owners of SportsConnexion did - and if so, why did they not pro-actively alert both parties to this prior to the day?
Old 21st May 2023, 8:34 pm   #62
Paul Stenning
Administrator

That's exactly the sort of thing the BVWS committee will be asking.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st May 2023, 8:41 pm   #63
slidertogrid
Octode

Unfortunately some equipment is worth more as parts than complete. I have noticed prices of certain equipment falling in recent years and as you say collectors of 'our generation' often have most of the sets they want.

A few quality transistor sets Hacker, Dynatron, Roberts etc were on the B&B at £15 and hung around all day. A few years ago they would have been snapped up. I saw another stall selling what I would call ordinary 50's radios which I don't think it is unfair to say were tatty, for £5 each. The Transformers, speakers and valves are worth more than that surely? There was a couple of DAC10s again tatty and cracked but at a fiver worth more than that for the dial glass. Another stall was selling portable Gramophones for £25 each.

What I find frustrating is the stall holders that don't price stuff. To walk around asking 'how much for this - how much for that' and having to wait sometimes while the stall holder talks to someone else is frustrating. I also find that often the prices when you do ask are silly for what it is leaving you to say 'Ok thanks' and walk away. I don't usually ask unless it is something I really want!

I did promise not to buy any more tellies and managed to keep that promise as luckily the two I saw that may have tempted me were already sold and on their way out of the hall with their new owners!

As far as sharing the event with Comicon was it really a problem? The people I met were really friendly and I got some great pictures as did others. Yes I had a bit further to walk initially and at 62 with a dodgy knee I wasn't exactly running, it was more effort standing in the entrance queue for 20 mins but at least the Stormtroopers kept us entertained!
Any tweaks made will be an improvement but I don't think there was any major problems.
I too would like to say a big thank you to everyone who made it happen and keep the event alive!

Last edited by slidertogrid; 21st May 2023 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Added a bit more...
Old 21st May 2023, 8:58 pm   #64
slidertogrid
Octode

Eric and Earnie the friendly Stormtroopers ! I now have a copy of the plans for the new plug in Electric death star... (range is limited )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_095738.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	278554  
Old 21st May 2023, 9:00 pm   #65
af024
Octode

I should like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the bring and buy stall. They worked like Trojans all day long and everything was nice and slick. I was so pleased and very relieved to be able to get close to the entrance to offload everything without too much trouble early on in the day. It took multiple trips (I was alone and the car was full!). Also, handing everything over as soon as I walked in was very welcome indeed – it gave me piece of mind that they were now safely under the B&B wing.

I typed up the list and attached labels to every item (which I did the night before). This was a sensible approach as all that was needed at handover was a tick against each item on the list – easy!

So my grateful thanks once again – everything was sold apart from two small low value items. I was very relieved I can tell you – I didn’t want to lug loads of heavy stuff back to the car at the end of the day with only minimal energy left.

Kind regards - nice one!
Old 21st May 2023, 9:07 pm   #66
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
What I find frustrating is the stall holders that don't price stuff. To walk around asking 'how much for this - how much for that' and having to wait sometimes while the stall holder talks to someone else is frustrating. I also find that often the prices when you do ask are silly for what it is leaving you to say 'Ok thanks' and walk away.
It depends a bit on how much stuff is on a stall. I did price some stuff but mostly there was too much to put labels on everything because it was so small. On the other hand my prices were far from silly in my opinion. There were many people who were shocked when they asked, because I had an awful lot of stuff that was £1 or £2.
Old 21st May 2023, 9:09 pm   #67
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
...but at least the Stormtroopers kept us entertained!
Yes I thought the Stormtroopers were great, interacting with people attending both events and adding a bit of fun. Apparently they came into the hall at one point - I didn't see them but I believe Alex has one or two photos for the next BVWS Bulletin.

Quote:
Any tweaks made will be an improvement but I don't think there was any major problems.
My thoughts too. Niggles and tweaks rather than major issues.

My aim was to get rid of some stuff and not buy anything. All my stuff on the bring-and-buy as museum donations found new homes, albeit some if it in the free give-away at the end. I didn't buy anything either, although I did some away with some free service data to sort through and maybe scan.

Overall I thought it was a great day. The hall was busy with some interesting stalls and plenty to tempt me (I managed to resist), the weather was ideal, and I even had good journeys both ways with free-flowing traffic.

I know it was a lot of hard work by the BVWS committee, especially Greg who organised it including dealing with stall bookings and the venue (he lives fairly close), and it paid off.

Paul Stenning
Old 21st May 2023, 9:58 pm   #68
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post

Yes I thought the Stormtroopers were great, interacting with people attending both events and adding a bit of fun. Apparently they came into the hall at one point - I didn't see them but I believe Alex has one or two photos for the next BVWS Bulletin.
Yes. Stormtroopers came past our stall. As did some other rather impressive aliens that I kind of recognised but couldn't name.
Old 21st May 2023, 10:15 pm   #69
Andrewausfa
Octode

I had a good day, met up with my reprobate friends, did countless laps of the tables and enjoyed watching some of the Comiccon characters. Never again will I be letting anyone question my sanity doing this particular hobby after seeing a man with a golden casserole pot on his head. So my thanks goes to everyone who helped to organise it. Not much difference in the drive for me between the WEC and new venue, they're really not that far apart.

Teething niggles, mostly venue related: Toilets for those who've just driven 100+ miles open early doors please. Going around the back of the building to find a bush was not great especially in this day and age when there were young people on site. I understand the toilet facilities weren't great and on the 'intimate' side.

Appreciate the guy checking wrist bands was only doing his job but I did let rip at him when he asked me if I could show him it when I had a two armfuls of heavy equipment heading for the B&B 'Tell you what mate you hold this lot and I'll show you my band' or words to that effect. Would have been nice to see common sense applied.

It also would have been nice to see that bar open!

Quote:

What I find frustrating is the stall holders that don't price stuff. To walk around asking 'how much for this - how much for that' and having to wait sometimes while the stall holder talks to someone else is frustrating. I also find that often the prices when you do ask are silly for what it is leaving you to say 'Ok thanks' and walk away. I don't usually ask unless it is something I really want!
Totally agree with all of that. People can ask for what they want but there were indeed some fantastical prices being asked on some stalls which just left me bewildered. £30 for common cosmetically challenged transistor sets...hmmm OK how about £5, no, you won't haggle..good luck with that then.

Thanks again to the organisers.

Andrew
Old 21st May 2023, 10:41 pm   #70
gw0udmgw
Triode

I had a good morning at the show - I think it's the third time I've been now. I got there for opening time at 10:30am so I did manage to get a parking space although the guy doing the directing didn't seem to be entirely on top of things.

It was fun seeing all the Comic-con characters although I was completely mystified by it to start with and nearly went into the wrong venue. By the time I left they had got the signs up properly and it was all a lot clearer. In a perfect world it would be better not to have multiple events on at once but I guess there's not much the organisers can do about that.

The event felt smaller than at the WEC but from what I'm reading I think that's more down to the lack of 'exhibition' stalls rather than traders. I did really miss seeing those though - really enjoyed looking at them last time around so hopefully they will stage a return at some point in the future.

I thought the range of stuff on the stalls and the prices were pretty good. I found a load of nice bits although I'm more interested in 80s era cassettes / radios / computers than anything older. I was pleased to find a boxed ZX printer and a pile of games for £10, various radio / cassettes players (4 for £9!), a really nice Panasonic boombox for £10 which was sold as not working but seems fine. Got some 7" tape reels too, and the standout was a Sony TCS-2000 cassette deck which is something I'd never seen before - unassuming but high quality. I may have overpaid at £30 but I love it.

My impression overall was that stuff was cheaper, but there was also less available - didn't see many 70s / 80s CRTs at all, and not many stacking hifi systems which there were a few of last year.

I did overhear a few people talking about how there weren't many young people around... and at 46 now I'm not sure where I fit in. Still I was really happy with my haul, I really hope that this event continues as it's handy for me.

I did miss out on a Sharp VZ2000 boombox - the one with the vertical record player. I stooped down to have a closer look but as I did so the chap who had obviously just bought it strolled over, hefted it on a trolley and rolled it away. Would love to know how much it went for. I did see an Amstrad version... but that was rather less attractive!

Thanks very much to the organisers for an enjoyable event, and I hope it's possible to keep an event in the Midlands. I'll definitely be back next year.
Old 22nd May 2023, 8:52 am   #71
Valvepower
Octode

Sounds a cracking gig – the Storm Troopers sounded a real hoot… Next time I work on something I’ll use the ‘force’ and that’s not a large hammer

I didn’t go as I’m going to RWB in July – I suppose I’m limiting my ‘exposure’ to the potential for buying stuff as I find it quite hard to sit on my hands so to speak – I got myself in a bit of pickle with 'stuff' a few years back and I don't want to end-up in the same place.

Anyway…

Quote:
Did overhear a few people talking about how there weren't many young people around...
Quote:
I don't see people in their twenties at BVWS meetings.
Of late I’m realizing the young’uns are into old/vintage but its more musical (instrument) and audio (hi-fi) related gear than ‘old’ radios. I’m seeing some young folk appreciating valves like the 6V6 and EL84 etc., however in musical and hi-fi gear and not old radios as such – just my two penn'orth – nowt more

Terry
Old 22nd May 2023, 9:19 am   #72
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Well, I said I’d get a photo of everything when I got home, so here it is! Including the stuff that didn’t sell on the B&B

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3FAA7F3C-812E-4147-BC64-915FC5DDC780.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	278560  
Old 22nd May 2023, 9:25 am   #73
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Photo from Facebook by someone who I don't think is a member here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	348430699_615951500472589_3658007647606561670_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	278561  

Paul Stenning
Old 22nd May 2023, 9:48 am   #74
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

I attended yesterday and quite enjoyed it. It did feel as though there were less stalls but as stated above, due to the lack of exhibiting stalls it probably just felt that way. There also seemed to be an abundance of earlier radios, I know there often is a lot at the event but it seemed more so this year. I can't complain though, I came away with a HMV Fluid-Light 442 and a Marconi 235, both of which will be good projects though they've been messed with in one way or another. I was very interested in the home made television but personally I found the price too rich and my wallet too tight this year, not that I've got the room anyhow! Next year I may go for early admission, I did spot some good stuff being carted away before general admission time as I did last year too and the hall seemed very full even as general admission was given access.
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:16 am   #75
beamcurrent
Heptode

On behalf of the Broadcast Television Technology Trust we had a good and interesting day with lots of visitors. Our principle display was 2 TV's running various promotional and info clips. to the side we had 3 large display posters and a rather nice plan of Television centre.

For those who might wish to see the full set of promo videos go to youtube, or search MCR21.

I thought the new venue was a big improvement over the previous one. the layout was logical and the access for setting up good. all in all the number of stalls and attendance was OK especially considering the date clashed with a big amateur radio rally not far away...

Many thanks to the BVWS committee for making the day possible.

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:52 am   #76
Reelman
Octode

Yes, very good day. Sold far more than bought and met some interesting people. Location was fine although they need knowledgeable stewards to assist car parking to maximise spaces and to be aware of multiple events. Perhaps next year we will have it to ourselves although my son was able to pop next door to look around their comic show. Bound to be teething problems at first use of the venue, next year will be even better, I'm sure.

Many, many thanks to all those who took part in setting this up, your efforts are greatly appreciated. Great event!

And finally thank you to all my customers....

Peter
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:00 am   #77
Rejectostat
Hexode

I think many found the venue difficult to find, a few temporary "A-Board" type signs would have helped, there was several of us in cars awaiting the outcome behind one person evidently asking a "local" where the venue was.
The toilets were someowhat cramped and barely sufficient, and the very good catering at the previous venue also missed. I couldn't understand anything said over the PA system in the centre of the hall, though it sounded clear near the bar area. Access over the chippings with personal trolleys was risky, I saw radios falling to the ground due to the vibration.

The economics outlined previously by Paul S cannot be ignored though, and I am pleased to see the event continue on a more secure financial footing, the comments mentioned above are minor and a price worth paying to keep the event alive. I'd say Greg and the team have done well to make such a good event at a new untried venue. Attendance seemed good, but is difficult to judge as the hall was much smaller.

I much enjoyed the day and still could have spent more time there even though I was there at opening. Prices struck me as very low, even so at the end of the day a lot of goods appeared to be taken home again. Seeing motor tuned/bandswitching Ekco's lying unsold at £10 and more mundane 30's, 40's and 50's sets not achieving £5 is dispiriting, it simply won't be worth spending anything (be it time or money) restoring these receivers.

John
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:22 am   #78
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

I have attended or sold at every venue the NVCF has had over the years. Thoughts:
1) Overall excellent - the social side of meeting people has just got better and better over time.
2) Big thank you to organisers - a lot of hard work, often unappreciated.
2) Main negative to me was toilets - but given cost savings - not a deal breaker.
3) Size and layout seems ideal. Felt unfair some stallholders had bigger and more secure tables than the ones we had!
4) Struck me as more mixed up than WEC - hifi , old / new, military, telephony etc. usually in sections. I have no strong feelings - probably prefer mixed to add dynamic to wandering.

Regarding some comments above - I price everything using post it notes and sequentially reduce (unless I am happy to take home). Some of the buyers can be mighty rude and opinionated in the way they approach offers - others are nice. No surprise there - other than maturity brings with it an ability to ignore rude people. Fortunately a vast minority at the NVCF.

Look forward to it every year and plan to keep attending.
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:25 am   #79
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Well, I said I’d get a photo of everything when I got home, so here it is! Including the stuff that didn’t sell on the B&B

Regards
Lloyd
At the top right, is that a Radio Rentals set? I think it's the 'sister set' to the Ekco ACT96 that I restored (at long length!) recently.
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:29 am   #80
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
On behalf of the Broadcast Television Technology Trust we had a good and interesting day with lots of visitors. Our principle display was 2 TV's running various promotional and info clips. to the side we had 3 large display posters and a rather nice plan of Television centre.

For those who might wish to see the full set of promo videos go to youtube, or search MCR21.

I thought the new venue was a big improvement over the previous one. the layout was logical and the access for setting up good. all in all the number of stalls and attendance was OK especially considering the date clashed with a big amateur radio rally not far away...

Many thanks to the BVWS committee for making the day possible.
Hear hear, I thought this was an excellent event at a new venue, the few teething problems were quite minor and all in a great day and I hope there will be many more to come.
A massive thanks to Greg and the committee for finding the venue and all the work behind the scenes to make it happen for the benefit of the membership and wider vintage community.
Attendance looked good particularly as it was a new venue and the majority seemed to enjoy themselves, looking forward to many more.
Closed Thread