UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 11th Apr 2023, 4:23 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default RAF Signals Museum Henlow Closure

The closure of the RAF Signals Museum at Henlow has been announced as June 2024 so if you want to visit don't leave it too late. I've posted this here because some of the exhibits will be sold off from May 2024.

http://www.rafsignalsmuseum.org.uk/page17.html

Jerry
cathoderay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2023, 6:55 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: RAF Signals Museum Henlow Closure

Thanks for the headsup. I vaguely recall the director of the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford, which is associated with the Army, telling me that his museum was constituted on a "statutory" basis - the Army is obliged to run museums highlighting their activities. Apparently that isn't the case for the RAF and Royal Navy - hence the vulnerability of museums like this one to "sudden death", with no replacement.

Richard
trh01uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2023, 8:51 am   #3
greenstar
Octode

I very much hope those big transmitters will find a home.
greenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2023, 12:51 pm   #4
stitch1
Heptode

This has been on my 'to do' list for a long time as there's equipment there I worked on.
It's an 8 hr round trip so I'll need to combine with a short break but will do it this year.

I'm aware of the Army Signals but unless I'm mistaken I don't recall being referred to as 'signals' in the RAF. Out of interest anyone know why its refered to as RAF 'signals' Museum?

John
stitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2023, 10:32 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

In the RAF I only recall the Tactical Communications Wing where 'signals' would get a mention, but the name Signals would refer to an Army unit, but the museum could incorporate a mixture?
Old 14th Apr 2023, 7:49 am   #6
stitch1
Heptode

Yes I agree about TCW and I suppose ‘signals’ is a term many will understand but not one we ever used. Looking at the website the equipment seems to be ex RAF much from No. 1 Radio School where I attended many times.

I’ll just have to go and ask them!

John
Old 15th Apr 2023, 4:23 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Back in the day, Henlow was the RAF's Test Equipment MU (I forget the no.). I worked('68 - '70) in the T/Eq dept. of 103MU out in Cyprus, & we were subservient to Henlow.
30MU at RAF Sealand was the main Wireless/Radar/Nav.Inst.(now called Avionics)MU, but that sadly closed down in the late 80's, I believe.
During my 4 postings at RAF Cosford(either training, maintenance, or instructing), in the 60's/70's, Henlow kept us regularly supplied with "out of spec" old T/Eq. For Boy Entrants, trainee Fitters & Apprentices to work with, and sometimes wreck.
Hopefully, whoever is in charge of dispersing the collection at Henlow, seriously considers sending it up to the Museum at Cosford. A fitting repository, I suggest. As Cosford not only trained Avionics folk, but also Ground Radar, Ground Wireless & Telegraphers, for many years.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2023, 10:50 pm   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Would Cosford be interested, or would they just bury everything away in an inaccesible store?
They certainly show minimal interest in displaying anything to do with Radio, Radar and other aircraft systems, without which their aircraft could do very little.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2023, 10:05 am   #9
Sinewave
Octode

Such a shame Duxford gave the radio section the heave ho.
Old 16th Apr 2023, 10:20 am   #10
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Such a shame Duxford gave the radio section the heave ho.
Indeed, a very strange decision. A consequence of professional museum staff having very little genuine interest in objects under their care?

Andy
M0FYA Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 8:25 pm   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

Looks like three of us "S"s(stich1, Sinewave, and me) are all ex RAF and worried about the future of Henlow's collection.
I must say that I found Alf Fisher - Henlow's Curator - most helpful in the past, when I've contacted him for info on VR equipment. He was also at 30MU at Sealand, back in the day.
I sent an email to the Cosford Museum on Friday, & am awaiting a reply. If the other two "S"s are also ex Cosford, perhaps they'd like to put in their two pennoth & also lobby the museum to take Henlow's collection. So - calling all ex RAF Radio/Electronics/Avionics guys on this Forum - get involved. There is only myself & another ex Cosford guy way up here in the North of Scotland(over 400 miles away) on this Forum, I think. However, both Henlow & Cosford are jolly accessible, road-wise, to the bulk of VRR&R, BVWS, & VMARS membership down "South". If hands are needed - please help to preserve Henlow's collection.

Regards, David
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 8:56 pm   #12
stitch1
Heptode

I’m ex No1 Radio school Locking (my sister was born as Cosford) sadly Locking is no longer but it would make sense for Cosford to take on the collection but do they have the staff an space to do display it?

I’d love to be a volunteer but a 400 mile round trip is obviously not practicable but I will look into lobbying the museum

John
Old 28th Apr 2023, 3:39 pm   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Still haven't heard from Cosford's Curator. That's a week now. David
Old 28th Apr 2023, 8:36 pm   #14
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

This may be another example of where the size of audience with exposure to the collection has not been sufficient to raise its profile as a resource. How many people without prior involvement in the subject have ever visited the Henlow collection? One look at the procedure for gaining entry is enough to dissuade all but the diehard enthusiasts, who number hundreds out of a global population of 8 billion.

Knock the museum professionals if you like, but I fear it is equally the enthusiasts who hide stuff away without a strategy to engage the rest of the planet with it. When their erstwhile successful situation changes, the other 7,999,999,800 people who could advocate for their survival are oblivious.

This is in no sense criticism of Henlow, Duxford or Cosworth or the teams behind them; rather another reminder to look at museum provision not only from the position of a privileged subject expert, but from the point of view of the average taxpayer and potential 'lost' visitor. Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium that we are seeking with MEET.
Lucien Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2023, 7:32 am   #15
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Me! Because I grew up in nearby Henlow Village and knew a lot of civilian people working in the RAF station

"One look at the procedure for gaining entry is enough to dissuade "

Sorry but that statement is just rubbish, it is JUST the same as entering any moderately secure establishment, 2 weeks ago I did the same 3 times in a week just for business meetings. You just show up, prove your identity and get a visitors badge. End of. Just the same as you now have to in order to vote.

And there is a lot of FREE parking!

It wil be a shame to see it close

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
This may be another example of where the size of audience with exposure to the collection has not been sufficient to raise its profile as a resource. How many people without prior involvement in the subject have ever visited the Henlow collection? One look at the procedure for gaining entry is enough to dissuade all but the diehard enthusiasts, who number hundreds out of a global population of 8 billion.

Knock the museum professionals if you like, but I fear it is equally the enthusiasts who hide stuff away without a strategy to engage the rest of the planet with it. When their erstwhile successful situation changes, the other 7,999,999,800 people who could advocate for their survival are oblivious.

This is in no sense criticism of Henlow, Duxford or Cosworth or the teams behind them; rather another reminder to look at museum provision not only from the position of a privileged subject expert, but from the point of view of the average taxpayer and potential 'lost' visitor. Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium that we are seeking with MEET.
dodgy-dxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2023, 9:02 am   #16
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Sorry but that statement is just rubbish,
You are right. Whatever brochure or page I read the other week said nothing about the regular opening once a month; indicating instead that visiting was only by pre-booked appointment. I can't now find it but clearly it was wrong, outdated or not applicable to ordinary visitors. Thank you for the correction.
Lucien Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2023, 2:27 pm   #17
Sinewave
Octode

I see there is an open day on the 13th May, I won't be able to make this date, but hopefully I can get in any other day?
Old 7th May 2023, 9:17 pm   #18
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hello All,
To clarify the situation regarding the opening hours for the Signal Museum at RAF Henlow, our next open day will be from 10.00 to 16.00 on 13th May 2023. This is week later than normal due to the Coronation of King Charles III on the first Saturday. Future open days will be at the same times on the first Saturday of every month (excluding January) unless we have another event that requires the date to be changed. Our final open day will be on the 4th May 2024. The museum will always try to accommodate requests for other dates for visitors especially if it is a large party or if significant travel is involved.

It is sad to say that after some 24 years of having a wonderful time educating and entertaining service and civilian visitors from all over the world, the museum has to close and in some ways this was inevitable. As many people know, the museum was setup with a lot of the equipment that was in the museum at RAF Locking that was closed before the millennium. When the equipment arrived at Henlow, it was a collection of static exhibits many of which were black boxes. Since that time we have been fortunate in getting many items working and although we are fortunate in having a group of skilled staff who can keep the vintage valve equipment working, none of us are getting any younger and our fate was finally sealed with the announcement of the closure of RAF Henlow and the end of the support from the RAF that we have enjoyed over the years.

It was hoped that another RAF station or some other civilian entity would give us a home but so far no one has stepped forward. There are many of the exhibits on loan and these will be returned and then the plan is to re-home or dispose of the remaining exhibits in accordance with current industry practice with the expectation that many will find suitable new homes but inevitably some items will be unlikely to be maintained in working condition as they are at present.

Finally, I must end by saying a huge thank you to all the people and groups that have visited and helped us in their own ways.

Alf Fisher, Hon Curator
Alf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2023, 7:22 pm   #19
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Alf

And thanks to you too - a few years ago you kindly measured up some radio equipment to allow me to produce an accurate scale model for my 3D Stirling. It's very sad to see the museum go.

Cheers
James
jamesinnewcastl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2023, 1:00 pm   #20
Sinewave
Octode

Thank for the information Alf, it's good to see that we have another year left (I had thought that it was 2023 that it was closing), as that way I'll make sure I can fit a visit in, I'd like to take my father with me and arranging a time where we're both free can often be difficult.