UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2011, 2:53 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default "pipe" capacitors

I have quite a few of these in some old amplifiers. I am unable to test their value properly; they are all in the picofarad range, my meter is unreliable under 0.001 farads.

Are they usually reliable or is it best to replace? What's the best bet with old low value caps. (I know about waxies, Hunts etc).

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe caps 001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	49106  
Old 4th Apr 2011, 3:58 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: "pipe" capacitors

They appear to be tubular ceramic capacitors. I think they are usually OK, so leave unless fixing a fault. Most low value caps in a radio will be reliable, and changing them may require some realignment, so best to leave them as they are.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 6:18 pm   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

As G8HQP Dave says, they are tubular ceramic capacitors. Reliability? I think I've probably changed no more than about six in fifty years servicing (excluding the ones in the line deflection circuit in some early TVs which were under great electrical stress). Unlikely to give trouble. Tony
Old 5th Apr 2011, 6:28 pm   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks both, does anyone know how theyre constructed? I suppose they have been superceded by caps using more modern materials.

Andy.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 7:02 pm   #5

Conductive paint (silver?) over the inside spilling over the end to one connection and more on the outside for the other one.

Old 8th Apr 2011, 12:55 am   #6
Graeme Murphy
Tetrode

One that I examined a few years ago consisted of a conductor deposited upon the outside surface of the cylinder but with a conductor gap in the centre of the cylinder of one sixteenth of an inch & 360°.
A conformal coating hides this from sight but if you are gentle with the corosil all becomes clear !
Old 8th Apr 2011, 1:50 pm   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Many thanks for all your help,happy Easter to you all,Andy