UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:16 am   #1
fetteler
Octode

Default Fair offer policy

I always like to look at the Offered and Wanted section (doesn't everyone?) and I can't help noticing that sometimes, when an item is very popular, there can be a bit of a bun fight when it is offered. This often leads to disappointment for those forum members who do not continually check to see what's on offer....
I'm also a very enthusiastic member of my local Freecycle group where a "Fair Offer Policy* is encouraged for such items. When a freecycler offers an item under the fair offer policy they end the subject line with *FOP* and agree to wait a minimum of 48 hours before deciding how to allocate the item. This gives members who only access the system in the evening or maybe just a few times a week a better chance.
I was wondering if something akin to this policy would be a useful in the offered section here?

What do folks think?

Apologies if this has been discussed before!

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:29 am   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fair offer policy

I think it should be "First come first served" Then if the first person should change their mind then it should be offered to the next person down the list etc etc. I think the "FOP" can lead to a lot of bad feeling and personally if I see a "FOP" then I won't bother with it ...............
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:44 am   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

i am happier for names in a hat

this is what i do for stuff i shift via my local freecycle groups
gives everyone the same 1 in something chance
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:49 am   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I have missed out many a time but I think Mikelect is right, if opportunity knocks then take it, it's the way of the world.

"He who waits for roast duck to fly in mouth waits long long time"

Lawrence.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:50 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

As with freecycle it's entirely up to the giver/vendor as to what policy they adopt. The giver/vendor may wish to state what policy they are using but it's hardly essential. The forum may wish to have guidelines but IMO it would be a mistake to mandate anything here.

As well as "first come" and "hat" there is also a consideration of geography. It's often a lot easier to get stuff to somebody a few miles away than the other end of the country.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 11:05 am   #6
fetteler
Octode

I wasn't suggesting that the policy should be mandatory (it isn't mandatory on freecycle either) but the idea should be there to be taken up if wished.
It does seem kinder and fairer to me.

Steve.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 11:11 am   #7
Station X

See this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=53807

At the end of the day though it's entirely up to the seller to decide whom he sells his stuff to.

From a personal view point I generally hold a lucky draw for stuff I'm disposing of. I do this because I know that some members can only access the forums outside working hours and this puts them at a disadvantage compared to those members who can access the forums from their workplace or are retired.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 11:51 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Some people have subscribed to the section with instant email notification of new threads, and seem to jump in and claim anything of interest straight away. We have noticed a few names that reply quickly to many offered threads. Others may not see the threads until they visit the forums later, and could be annoyed that they have yet again missed out.

This is why I suggest waiting for perhaps 24-48 hours and choosing someone nearby or doing a random draw rather than going with the first to respond.

However it is the choice of the seller who gets the item, we can only suggest ways that we feel are fairer, we cannot enforce it.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Oct 2011, 5:39 pm   #9
Stockden
Heptode

I have to say that I agree entirely with Paul, Graham and Jeffrey. It is indeed up to the vendor/offerer to do as they choose but I too have noticed that there is a select band of people who seem "to get there first" more or less every time. Since I'm almost always beaten to it by the lucky few I have now all but given up looking at the Sets & Parts Offered category. For exactly the same reason I have all but given up offering items.

Mike may feel that a FOP leads to a lot of bad feeling but I suspect that is at least matched by the bad feeling that can result at present. It is indeed, apparently, the way of the world as Lawrence puts it but I don't think that means that we all have to behave that way on this forum. Don't get me wrong. I am constantly amazed and humbled by the kindness and generosity shown on this forum but there is on this one issue, in my view, an element that is some times not so generous.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that there should be any sort of mandatory policy but I would encourage very strongly more people to follow the suggestion that Paul posted some time ago (see the link in Graham's post above).

Hugh

Last edited by Stockden; 14th Oct 2011 at 5:47 pm.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 6:09 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

Hello Hugh, please don't misunderstand what I said, ie: "It's the way of the world" etc, I personaly drink from a deeper well than what I might have intimated, I guess I was trying to make a point that if whatever it is we are after comes up then we should take that opportunity and if the vendor does not state all names in the hat etc then I guess he/she means come and and get it. I do not object to either/or, but my own preference is first come first served, to a large extent it can be a bit of a lottery either way depending wether we are around on the forum at the time of posting or at work, away on holididay etc, I also think it is down to the vendor to set his/her own method of selling items and I feel sure that the powers that be would not want to set anything in stone just civil behavior.
I have missed out lots of times particularly at auction but that is the way of the world which I guess is what I was meaning, but that's only a reason to be disapointed and not miffed, in a lot of cases slow and steady wins the race anyway in my experience.

Lawrence.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 14th Oct 2011 at 6:19 pm. Reason: Quote of preceding post removed as it is not contributing anything.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:44 pm   #11
kalee20
Dekatron

Myself, if giving or selling anything I tend to say I'll wait a few days and then draw a name out of a hat.

However, there are cases where the reason something's up for grabs is because the owner wants it to go, ASAP. In which case, that wish has to be respected, the fast respondants are doing him a favour, and the only thing we can be thankful for is that it is a Forum member who is at least offering the chance to keep it in circulation, rather than Joe Public taking it to the dump!
Old 14th Oct 2011, 11:48 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Whilst on the subject of offers, which I have gratefully accepted in the past, my observation is of the use of PMs. When one item is on offer, "PM sent" is self evident. Probably not much point in looking further. However, in multiple offers, the same cannot be said. Probably the star item claimed, but maybe not? We are left in limbo, to post or not to post? At least say "PM sent re. item 1". Then we can judge whether or not to look further. PMs are best reserved for sensitive info eg. addresses or prices.
Old 15th Oct 2011, 2:32 am   #13
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
it is down to the vendor to set his/her own method of selling items and I feel sure that the powers that be would not want to set anything in stone just civil behavior.

Lawrence.
Please do not misunderstand my original and subsequent post; I am not seeking a mandatory scheme here, I raised the issue because I suspect there is a consensus in this direction that has become somehow forgotten.

Cheers,
Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 15th Oct 2011 at 2:33 am. Reason: Crikey - I didn't even spell my own name correctly :-)
Old 15th Oct 2011, 12:21 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

No worries Steve, posts that reflect or bring up the more personal feelings toward a subject always seem to end up like this, it's inevitable. It's no bad thing that we can talk about these things as it helps create a better understanding.

Lawrence
Old 15th Oct 2011, 7:04 pm   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Human nature is always getting in the way. I did notice that some people immediately seemed to take the well intentioned Administrator advice [posted a while ago] as gospel, despite it always being up to the vendor in the end!
On occasion an unexpected level of response has prompted a seller to try and solve the problem by belatedly changing the policy, which must be the worst way of handling things-especially for those thinking they were first in the queue. I haven't responded to anything for some time so I have no issue personally here. On the positive side, there are one or two members who I note have been willing to stand aside in favour of others with an established "greater need" which is very much in the forum spirit I would suggest. As Lawrence said it's better to clarify these things at source and maintain the supportive atmosphere which is the core of this site.
Dave W
Old 15th Oct 2011, 7:38 pm   #16
Sean Williams
Dekatron

To be honest, speaking as someone who has had to flog a fair few items recently, it helps when people read the ad.....

If I mention collection preferred, there is no point in someone asking if I will post it!

In that instance, its first come, first served, it is the way I prefer to do busniness.

However, I do realise that there are members that seem to get in first for everything - I exercise a certain degree of censorship in these cases.

It is the vendor's perogative as to who gets to buy or have an item, setting up restrictive rules will only push the stuff to other places to be disposed of.
Old 15th Oct 2011, 8:25 pm   #17
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
If I mention collection preferred, there is no point in someone asking if I will post it!
Just shows how easily misunderstandings arise!
I would take this to mean that you might be prepared to consider postage, but that if someone able to collect applied they would be given priority.
Old 16th Oct 2011, 2:06 am   #18
julie_m
Dekatron

Just to play Devil's advocate here: If you were that miffed about something going to someone else, you obviously wanted it a lot; so maybe you should have put up a "wanted" notice yourself in the first place?
Old 16th Oct 2011, 8:51 am   #19
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I have disposed of numerous items here.
I have also obtained some.

However, there has been many occasions when I have seen something I would have liked but someone else got there first.
Thats just the way of the world.

I'm pleased when I am fortunate, and just accept that I cant be lucky every time.

Overall, the "Offered" and "Wanted" sections are an invaluable part of this board, but are only a part of it. The information and assistance one can get are of far more use.
Old 16th Oct 2011, 8:12 pm   #20
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Quote:
Just shows how easily misunderstandings arise!
I would take this to mean that you might be prepared to consider postage, but that if someone able to collect applied they would be given priority.
I agree, I would understand "collection only" to mean that there's no point asking....

Cheers,
Steve.