UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2019, 10:24 am   #21
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown cast iron 2Kw electric fire

We had a later and uglier version of George's heater when i was young- and yes it did get tipped over several times, once hard enough to crack the fireclay backing (but not the element)

It was good at briefly warming your hands or frazzling the hair on your ankles, but as people have observed it was fundamentally a cooker ring standing on it's side; a fan heater element barely glows if at all- the heat is being pulled away from it, balancing the temperature around the room as quickly as possible. It's still interesting that 1kw of radiant heater feels less effective than 1kw of fan heater though..

..Generally ructions followed in our house if the second bar was switched on- the noise the switch made could be heard in the next room.

Dave
Old 30th Dec 2019, 5:04 pm   #22
bionicmerlin
Heptode

If it was me I would get this heater working and enjoy it.
Yes maybe it’s not as efficient as a new heater and maybe not as safe but does that really matter. common sense says you won’t use it around children or pets.
Lots of our other things are not as safe as modern equivalents and not energy friendly but we use them anyway and love them.
I have a heater with a similar element that I use often . It was my Nans and its had loads of use. It had a new spiral element in the late 70s and I have a spare .
Just in case. Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50145D67-66E3-4B8F-BEE3-1E990519D60E.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	196097   Click image for larger version

Name:	D432F96B-8F9D-4CD4-A41F-23922A2A5AA8.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	196098  
Old 30th Dec 2019, 5:51 pm   #23
Brigham
Octode

Old electrical gear shouldn't be used by people without knowledge or common sense.
Leave it for enthusiasts; the people this forum is aimed at.
Old 30th Dec 2019, 6:43 pm   #24
paulsherwin

This heater should be OK if used with care by responsible adults. I wouldn't show it any power if there are children around though.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 10:56 pm   #25
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I use a fan heater in my shed for transient heating, it warms my tootsies. A wall mounted radient heater has little effect until the ceiling has warmed up and then I am off for a cup of coffee.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 11:36 pm   #26
sexton_mallard
Heptode

I like my Belling THEF002 radiant fire. It can be floor or wall mounted with 2 1kw bars, the second bar can be switched in. The parabolic reflector really sends a lovely beam of radiant heat and the top can be rotated about 35 degrees up and down. Useful on really cold days in the parents cottage when getting the lounge fire ready. Again, I would agree that it should only be used supervised with no young children around. Wall mounting away from any harm is my preference for usability and safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bellingfire.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	196372  

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 2nd Jan 2020 at 11:53 pm. Reason: improve readability
Closed Thread