UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2017, 3:24 pm   #1
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Default Blaupunkt Pop 70 radio transistor query

The above set seems to have an issue at bottom end of bass , hard to describe but its like it distorts right at the bottom. Have used diff speakers and still the same. I know sound issues are hard to pin down but ive checked majority of the bass circuit except for the transistor. On the schematics the transistor is showing as bc108c but in the set it has a bc172c. I have got bc108c in my box of many things but the bc108c is tin pot transistor and the one that is in is silicon black. Looks original but not 100% sure. So my question is are they the same? Or comparable, which one is preferable? Could this be my bass issue. Thanks for any help. There are a lot of tin pot transistors on the board but only 2 of the bc172c , the one in the picture and also one slightly further up the top of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	951E61D2-1AD2-4003-BA4F-775B13B8D233-7321-000005CB06F79668.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	145006  
Old 24th Jun 2017, 8:27 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Blaupunkt Pop 70 radio transistor query

They're both NPN general purpose transistors, both the same gain band, so there's nothing really to choose between them. A look at the print side should prove whether they're originals or replacements.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:06 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Regarding the fault, it may be worth feeding some audio from another source into the audio amp around the volume pot just to check whether it is actually the amp causing the distortion. I have had faults that cause distortion from tuning issues or in the detector stage.
Alan.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:25 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Likewise, Alan. The electrolytics on the AGC line often go low in value and cause distortion on heavy bass. I've had this problem on quite a few early transistor models.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 11:30 am   #5
paulsherwin

It is very unlikely that a transistor fault would cause these symptoms.

The electrolytics on the right of the photo look a bit unhappy, but it may be caused by the lighting.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 10:04 pm   #6
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Yeah thats just lighting paul, they have plastic sleeves around them
Closed Thread