UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2020, 4:38 pm   #1
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Default No’s worn off Trio Amp Facia

Hi, this is my first post, so hopefully this is right.
I have just bought a Trio KA3500 Amplifier, but unfortunately, the No’s have worn off around the volume control. Being new to this renovation stuff, could anyone recommend where in the UK, I can buy some decal to replace them .
It is plain Black Numbering and I would need an odd line or Two replaced. Thanks, Colin.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 4:49 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: No’s worn off Trio Amp Facia

It is very, very difficult to get this right. I would be inclined to live with the wear, which is part of the amp's history after all.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:15 pm   #3
Bookman
Hexode

Why not try your local sign manufacturing company. I have found that these companies possess a myriad or materials and software patterns that allow them to manufacture a vast range of products.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 8:28 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Would your budget run to buying this?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIO-KA-350...a-dee0a0fa9ea1

There's a switch broken off but it has a good lettered panel which you could lacquer to protect the lettering after you've cleaned it!

Lettering often wears off this sort of tackle due to repeated usage of the control concerned – the oil natural oils present on the skin seems to have a deleterious effect on silk screened lettering!

Chris Williams
Old 20th Aug 2020, 8:54 pm   #5
novicerepairer
Tetrode

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas, I think I will live with it like suggested, but if I find a really cheap faulty one, I like the idea of the facia swap as well, thanks all. Colin.
Old 25th Aug 2020, 9:31 am   #6
crackle
Rest in Peace

Letraset used to be the way to add numbers to control panels. Then a very clear artist varnish. But I have had problems with the varnish bubbling the letters in the past but they tended to settle down once the varnish had dried. You need to do very thin coats of varnish.
Closed Thread