UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2010, 9:21 pm   #1
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Gondolier.

Hi Everyone.

My old Hacker has finally gone wrong after 39 years (it didn't quite make its 40th at Xmas). When switching on it's fine. If I play a 45 it barely makes it to the end before the sound distorts.

if i switch it off wait a while switch on again ti happens again as soon as its warmed up it distorts any ideas guys thanks Anthony
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 9:34 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: hacker gondolier

At a guess, ECL86 valves and the capacitors that go to the grids. It's done 39 years so it's bound to go funny because ECL86's do run hot.

The details about this are available on this site. Go up top there and click on the white panel marked 'Vintage Radio Service Data'. You'll get the data in there.

It is the valve one I take it?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:15 am   #3
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hacker Gondolier.

I think you're right Steve I changed one of the valves with one from another set and it was fine. Left it on for two hours just kept topping it up with 45s.

just out of interest i put the duff valve in the other set and sure enough as soon as it got nicely warm it distorted just need to find a new valve now and were back in buisness thanks again Anthony
Old 26th Aug 2010, 1:12 am   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

See the "Two of 'That Capacitor'" section in this thread, the amplifier in your Gondolier is similar.

Sometimes, healthy new valves will handle being biased into heavier than normal conduction whereas tired old ones won't, giving the impression that the valves were faulty.

It's possible that the valve you tried in another set is worn-out as it's been passing more current than it should for some time.

Electrically leaky grid-coupling capacitors not only cause distortion; the resultant increase in HT current can damage valves (including the rectifier), output transformer and mains transformer.

Even if the capacitors aren't leaky and it turns out to be worn valves after all, at least you'll know that the capacitors aren't leaky and aren't going to damage the new valves or something else.

Also, as this is a push-pull amplifier, it could be argued that the ECL86 valves should be treated as a pair and replaced together. (They don't have to be matched, but if this were mine, I'd fit two of the same brand, age and condition rather than replacing one.)

Regards, Kat
Old 26th Aug 2010, 9:15 am   #5
radiotircoed
Pentode

Agree with Kat. You must replace 'that capacitor' otherwise your new valves are likely to have a shortened life. Never had a Hacker here where they haven't been leaky..

Bob W
Old 26th Aug 2010, 9:53 am   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

And ECL86's do run into grid current distortion very easily.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th Aug 2010, 7:27 pm   #7
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys, but I have already done the caps. however i will check them again just to make sure cheers Anthony
Old 14th Dec 2010, 7:54 am   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

I have a Gondolier too.
Immediately on receipt I changed the grid couplers.
I am wondering if the ECL86's usually need replacement.
Mine plays loud enough, the player is naturally bass-heavy because of the enormous speaker & case.
If one or both ECL86s was getting 'tired' would this manifest as reduced volume alone?
I have no way of testing the pair of valves myself.
I have been looking at the price of ECL86's & assuming I need a matched pair.
Old 14th Dec 2010, 10:43 am   #9
D_S_J_R
Heptode

As I said elsewhere, the response is "flat" with treble turned fully up for some reason, the bass sounding best to me with the bass backed off a little.

While the deck is out, I'd advise a little checking of the deck lubricants, as "Garrard-grease" has a habit of going solid very easily
Old 21st Jul 2014, 9:21 am   #10
Station X

Some posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=107850

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread