UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2010, 12:40 am   #1
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default hacker gondolier

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0189.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	34629hi everyone i have two of these machines iv had one of them from new [1972]its quite a scruffy looking thing now though after being well used over the last 38 years but it still works perfectly and sounds great the only thing ever done to it is a new cartridge instead of the old sonotone it now has an acos gp104 which fits nicely into the headshell of the 2025tc turntable . The other one ihad given sometime last year and have just got round to looking at it .ithink this machine must have spent its life locked in a safe its uncany theres not a mark on it anywhere inside or out it looks as thouge its just come of the production line theres not even any dust inside i think it may be older than the other one because it has a diffrent deck in it [garrard3000] and a sonotone 9ta cart however when powered up it just dosnt have the umph that the other one has [not as much bass] even though theres plenty of vollume could it be leaky caps perhaps and if so should i replace the caps on both of them i await your usual expert advice thanks Anthony
Old 18th Apr 2010, 12:55 am   #2
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: hacker gondolier

Hi Anthony,

Take a look at this thread for a start; particularly the "Two of 'That Capacitor'" bit.

The amplifiers used in Hacker record players and their associated amplified extension speakers are all very similar.

Regards, Kat
Old 18th Apr 2010, 10:08 am   #3
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

thanks Kat for a really interesting and helpfull thread i did the same test as you for the smoothing cap and everything was fine after switching off it settled down to just above 100 volts then i checked caps 6 and 7 they both leak badly they are the yellow supermolds you described in your thread will replace them today however i am puzzled by the third yellow cap in your photo [seems to be across the output transformer] neither of my sets have this .will let you know how i get on many thanks Anthony ps two more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0190.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	34639   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0191.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	34640  
Old 18th Apr 2010, 10:57 pm   #4
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

hi again well i have spent best part of today replacing caps as a result this machine is now sounding as good as its twin i have conected them together so one of them is now doubling up as the add on amp i have to say the sound is amazing i have never heard the gondolier work in stereo mode before back when i was 15 and mum and me were in the coop buying it she wouldent let me have the add on amp she said we coudnt aford it in fact she wanted me to have fidelity stereo [a nasty musicmaster i think ] which cost less than the hacker i knew quality even back then thanks again all Anthony
Old 19th Apr 2010, 6:24 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Ooh, you have my sympathy! I wanted an EAR "1960" and got a Dansette "Junior"!

Barry
Closed Thread