UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2009, 8:58 pm   #1
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SRP31D.

Hi everyone,

Got this Bush given from a friend's mum. She tells me it's been in the cupboard under the stairs for years. It only came to light because she is having a new electric meter fitted.

Anyway I get it home and power it up with a lamp limiter but the lamp didn't light at all. I put a record on and it played although not very loud. I have tested the cartridge and it's fine. I know that caps will need replacing but which ones? can anyone tell me?

I already have an SRP31C. I have opened that one just to compare the two machines and apart from the obvious cosmetic diffrences and the turntable they look almost the same. The only difference I can spot is the valves [31D has 2 x ECL86, the older one has ECL83's].

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that the 31D had a more powerful amp; anyone know what the output should be?

I would also like to ask about the Selenium rectifier but that can wait till a later date.

Thanks,
Anthony.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 4th Jan 2010 at 12:16 am. Reason: FSK and FPK problems fixed.
Old 30th Dec 2009, 9:57 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: bush srp 31d

Hi,
I have owned both an SRP31C and SRP31D. The main difference between the two are that the C version uses ECL83 valves and, usually, a Garrard deck (there were a few different types fitted) the D version has ECL86 valves, a higher output and almost exclusively is fitted with a BSR UA16 deck.

Both models are fitted with an option to fit an additional external amplifier for Stereo working, but not all models are fitted with a stereo cartridge/stylus assembly.
The C and D models were fitted with Tape output sockets, whilst the original SRP31 was not.

Getting back to your problem of low output I have had the selenium rectifier cause this fault, due to low HT. If you do a search around the forums for Bush SRP31 and maybe also Selenium rectifier I suspect that you will find some useful information on how to go about replacing it with a silicon counterpart.

Regards
Andrew
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 9:25 pm   #3
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys,

After replacing all the caps the r/player is working a treat. However after everything I've read on Selenium rectifiers I would like to replace it as well, before I reassemble the unit.

I have the correct diode and a 100 ohm 6 watt resistor. What I want to know is where to put the resistor? before or after the diode?

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Anthony.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 4th Jan 2010 at 12:20 am. Reason: FSK and FPK problems fixed.
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 11:36 pm   #4
wave solder
Hexode

It makes no difference whether the resistor goes before or after the diode as they are connected in series.
Old 5th Jan 2010, 1:04 pm   #5
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush SRP31D.

hello again i have fitted the diode and resistor and evrything is workin g well sounds great thanks again guys Anthony
Old 12th Jan 2010, 2:23 pm   #6
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again everyone,

I thought this machine was cured but no it's working ok but when I compare it with the 31C there is a noticable difference in the output. I don't just mean volume, there's a distinct lack of treble and bass. The older machine has a much richer sound, that's the only way I can describe it.

Could the big metal can (two in one) cap be the problem? I have measured the voltage at this cap and am geting 259VDC on one leg and 229VDC on the other. I also measured the same points on the 31C the voltage is slightly higher [only about four or five volts].

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,
Anthony.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Jan 2010 at 2:39 pm. Reason: Converted from one long sentence, punctuation added, white space added, typos corrected.
Old 12th Jan 2010, 2:25 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

what cartridge is fitted? you may well need a new one.
Old 12th Jan 2010, 2:50 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The ~2% discrepancy in voltage is unlikely to be a problem.

As Ben says, the cartridge is the most likely culprit by far. Can you swap the two over?

Nick.
Old 12th Jan 2010, 5:17 pm   #9
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

thanks guys will swap the carts and see what happens and let you know Anthony
Old 17th Feb 2010, 5:11 pm   #10
fronker
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder what happened?

Regarding the volume I have the same problem. I had ed dining forum member look it over when I got this machine and he said he replaced the HT. I have no idea what that is.

Anyway the volume was quite low which ed said was normal, however I found out if I moved the head of the arm around a little while playing, the volume would all of a sudden boost up as if the needle hit the grooves properly.

Anyway it now plays louder, although the needle in one of the two settings is very wobbly, and more concerning is that the records definitely change shade when I play them. I have no idea if this is normal. When ed looked at it he said he'd had the needle under the microscope and all was well.

Anyway I'm very confused and don't really want to play my vinyl which was the point of getting the system. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 17th Feb 2010, 8:57 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

Something is seriously wrong if you can see the record changing colour when played!
Presuming the original cartridge is still fitted, it will be a Sonotone 8TA, (red plastic body, gold coloured double stylus?). These frequently suffer from the stylus having been removed wrongly in the past, and consequent opening of the little black spring clip that holds the stylus. If you can remove the cartridge, you may be able to carefully push the clip down a bit with a small screwdriver, which will hold the stylus more securely. This can't really be done with the cartridge in place, as the whole thing will bend upwards, due to it's flexible mounting bracket. This however, should not be the cause of the wear on the record that you mention. It may well be that although the stylus was perfect when Ed checked it, it may have been damaged since, as it sounds like a chipped stylus which is damaging your records, or the playing weight is far too heavy. It is very easy to let the arm fall on the baseplate and chip the stylus. I would recommend that you get a new stylus, and before fitting, check the playing weight, which should be between 5-7 grammes.

Barry
Old 18th Feb 2010, 10:17 am   #12
fronker
Retired Dormant Member

Hi barry, thanks a lot for your input.

Yes that is the cartridge that is on the player. I've decided I'm going to replace that as well as the stylus. For peace of mind.

One question I have is regarding the weight, and sorry if these are stupid questions, but how do I measure the weight of the arm and more so how do I then change it?

Cheers
Old 18th Feb 2010, 10:53 am   #13
Audio1950
Dekatron

These certainly are not stupid questions, we are all learning all the time!

To measure the playing weight, you really need a stylus pressure guage, but they tend to be a bit expensive if you are only going to use it once. Get the new cartridge and let me know, and I'll pop mine in the post for you, and you can return it when you've finished with it.

To adjust the weight, if you lift the arm up to a vertical position, you'll see a spring attached to the bracket at the base of the arm, and at the other end of the spring is a hook, which you take out of whichever hole it's in now, and either move it to a hole nearer the centre of the arm to decrease the weight, or nearer the base of the arm to increase the weight.

Barry
Old 18th Feb 2010, 1:44 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

You can get small electronic scales from new age gift shops. Place the scales on the stationary turntable and lower the stylus gently onto the centre of the weighing platform.

The pickup cartridge is counterbalanced by a spring underneath the tonearm, and there should be some means of adjusting the tension in the spring -- a piece of metal that sits between turns, a set of holes to hook it into, or a screw adjuster.