UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2009, 9:43 pm   #1
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Emerson record player.

Another skip find. Although it's in reasonable condition, someone has been inside and cut all the wires and although it's quite obvious where some of them go [eg gram motor pickup] I'm a bit stumped with the 'speaker leads.

I have attached the two red ones to the 'speaker and it worked but there are two others that come from the smaller transformer which I presume are for the add-on speaker [also in the skip]. I have attached the speaker and it also works.

I have played an old stereo record on it and it seems to work properly but when the stereo-mono switch on the front is set to mono it's not as loud. The cartridge is a TC8S and is working. I swapped it for another one I have just to make sure so the question is, have I got all the 'speaker wires in the right place?

I presume this machine was designed to work as a mono player as well as stereo. I have looked above for the circuit but can't find it. I have never seen an Emerson before, were they any good?

Cheers,
Anthony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00108.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	30759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00110.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	30760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00107.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	30761  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Dec 2009 at 11:32 am. Reason: FSK and FPK problems fixed.
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 9:47 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: emerson recordplayer

Anthony,

Get the service sheet from Paul here: http://www.service-data.com/product.php/1668/2283

... you'll need it!

It's a weird, cost-saving design using "phantom push-pull stereo"

Note that it's a live-chassis type, with the neutral of the mains connected straight to the amp's chassis. BE CAREFUL ABOUT THIS, and ask here if you need clarification or explanations.

Nick.
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 11:35 pm   #3
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: emerson recordplayer

Thanks for that Nick, have now got the service sheet. Yes, I knew it had a live chassis by the valves so am being very careful. Someone has obviously got at it in the past because there are a few modern components installed [caps].

I have lubricated the turntable and given the controls a good spray and it seems to work really well with quite a nice sound. I just need to get speakers connected the right way round. There doesn't seem to be a mains transformer, just a big green dropper that gets very hot. I suppose this was done to save money. I'm only an amateur so may be wrong.

I will sort the speakers out and let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Anthony.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 3rd Dec 2009 at 7:15 am. Reason: FSK
Closed Thread