UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2018, 12:13 pm   #1
govjohn
Pentode

Default HP 3310B Function generator

Hi, has anyone here had any experience with an HP 3310B function generator? I've got one as a shed find it looks very cute and its just what I want, but its faulty. As the tunnel diodes (which fortunately plug in) are OK I thought it would be worth repairing so I got the manual. A copy dated Oct 73 is widely available but its abysmal! The circuit diagrams are a joke. They are incomplete, don't join up different scales, randomly labelled and the voltages shown on the scrap of the output amplifier show it as being saturated. (attached) Surely HP manuals are better than this? After-all Tektronix manuals are a model of clarity. If any member of this forum has any experience/knowledge of this function generator in particular with regard to better documentation, could you let me know. Thanks , John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_20181004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	170326  
Old 4th Oct 2018, 2:32 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: HP 3310B Funtion generator

Hi John,

I do not have the above function generator, but here are my comments nonetheless:

- KO4BB has a good quality manual on its web site, it is 27MB:
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index..._3310AB_OS.pdf
You still need to paste together schematics pages, HP used to make beautiful quality manuals with "mile long foldouts", very usable in paper form. So it is the scanning, not the manual!

- Start by checking the power supply.

- I have not measured a tunnel diode yet, but I understand it can easily be destroyed by "regular" diode check measurements, it has a region where the characteristics have negative resistance, so be careful with them.
You really should measure them on a curve tracer.

Good luck, Peter
Old 4th Oct 2018, 3:26 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HP 3310B Function generator

Tunnel diode? In a low frequency function generator?

That's very unlikely.

David
Old 4th Oct 2018, 3:56 pm   #4
dave cox
Nonode

A1 has 2 tunnel diodes, CR21/22 (+/-5 level detector) and 2 hot carrier CR3/4
A3 has a couple of norton diodes, CR21/23
A5 has 3 hot carrier diodes, CR9/10/11

#### and a partridge in a pear tree ####

dc
Old 4th Oct 2018, 5:59 pm   #5
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Tunnel diode? In a low frequency function generator?

That's very unlikely.

David
Just had a look at some pictures of my A version and found one of the tunnel diodes, not sure where the other is hiding but it should be in there somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3740a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	170335

I had trouble with the power supply in mine (Q20 was short circuit), I think the previous owner did too as it had been repaired before.
Also note that the power supply PCB has internal tracks (one of them had to be replaced with a link as a plated through-hole was damaged).

Looking at my pictures I have spotted a pair of Sprague type 109D wet tantalum capacitors, these are known to leak causing corrosion, so I will need to check & replace them at some point.

David
Old 4th Oct 2018, 6:07 pm   #6
govjohn
Pentode

orbanp1 Thanks for the reply, it appears to be an excellent quality down load and after I've stuck all the drawings together I should be able to sort it. As for testing the tunnel diodes I followed a video on U tube, search under Testing tunnel diodes, the video is by w2qew and its#204. This gives a good insight into how they work and they are really curious to play with. Thanks again for the download, John.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 6:18 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

You have to take meticulous care with tunnel diodes, and an accidental test–prod slip or testing these incorrectly can easily destroy them!

The best thing I can suggest is to begin with all the power–supply voltages, then carry out a performance check to see exactly how much of this unit is operational, and what isn't.

You do need a good, reliable dual–beam oscilloscope and a high–quality DMM to fault–find this instrument – I'll download the manual and study it over the next day or two – keep us posted!

Chris Williams
Old 4th Oct 2018, 8:06 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Tunnel diodes indeed! I didn't expect those in a lowish frequency func gen. Quite surprised.

I've used 3310s on lots of occasions but never had to go inside one. They just worked. I did have to do some re-design work on its great great grandson the 3325A when its frac-N synthesiser control chip went obsolete.

David
Old 4th Oct 2018, 8:48 pm   #9
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I've used 3310s on lots of occasions but never had to go inside one. They just worked. I did have to do some re-design work on its great great grandson the 3325A when its frac-N synthesiser control chip went obsolete.
Funny - without wishing to hijack the thread, I've just acquired a 3325B, and a fine (though rather large) instrument it is too. I doubt there are any tunnel diodes in there though!

It's nice to see its great-great-grandfather the 3310.

Chris
Old 4th Oct 2018, 9:56 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Always wanted a 3310. The mention of tunnel diodes has made me change my mind
Closed Thread