UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 8th Jul 2024, 2:55 pm   #1
indians
Diode

Default The Professionals CI5, TV series - PMR's.

Hi folks,

I know that it was already discussed long time ago, but I am still not sure if it was solved correctly.

As someone already asked here "I believe it's quite well known that the personal radios used in the TC series were Pye PF8s. However, does anybody know the makes and models of the two-way mobile radios fitted to the cars? There were at least two; one with a hexagonal-shaped fist microphone and one with a black telephone-style handset (looked vaguely Japanese-made). Cowley's car had the latter with a second handset on the back seat."

Well, I am still investigating about which kind of 2-way radios has been used by 3-7, 4-5 as well as Alpha-1 in their cars.

The only one picture available on the internet shows the Dymar 280 mobile transceiver, but no-one confirmed that it is correct radio which was really used in the TV series. During my investigation around and watching many of the episodes I got few another tips for radios but as I have not all episodes available in library, I cannot check all of them if some of those radios will be visible...

So currently I have tips for Dymar 280, Pye Westminster and Dymar RC620 aka GEC Worchester with various mic and handsets...

Could be someone so nice to help me to settle this question once and for all please?

Thanks, Petr
indians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2024, 6:25 pm   #2
indians
Diode

Default Re: The Professionals CI5, TV series - PMR's.

BTW: It looks like it depends to the car type used because it seems that with car upgrade the radios upgraded too...

Petr
Old 8th Jul 2024, 10:14 pm   #3
Station X

Let's not have any unnecessary discussion about car makes and models please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2024, 9:58 am   #4
indians
Diode

Thank you, Graham.

I will be happy if someone will be able to help me with car's radios.

Btw even the "well known" fact that the personal radios used in the TC series were Pye PF8s is not correct because in the early series in some episodes 4-5 is using PF1 (1964) walkie-talkie.

regards,
Petr
Old 9th Jul 2024, 2:30 pm   #5
Station X

It would help if you could post some stills showing the radios in question.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2024, 7:31 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by indians View Post

Btw even the "well known" fact that the personal radios used in the TC series were Pye PF8s is not correct because in the early series in some episodes 4-5 is using PF1 (1964) walkie-talkie.
No doubt they made the usual error of showing the PF1 TX also performing the receive role.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2024, 9:28 am   #7
indians
Diode

Hi Graham,

I guess not in this case because 4-5 is only talking into PF1 transmitter (retractable whip antenna on the top) and then the cut was in the frame

Also, in later episodes where 3-7 and 4-5 are using their PF8 already some corrupt chairman in a jacket is using PF1 transmitter but also just to talk in...
But you are right that this is common mistake to show PF1 TX as transceiver unit...

The more serious mistake is in some episodes where 4-5 is switching in between the channels on his "single channel" PF8, hihi.

best regards,
73 - Petr, OK1RP
Old 11th Jul 2024, 12:08 pm   #8
indians
Diode

Dear folks,

Well, I spent a bunch time with deep study of a lot of episodes, internet searches as well as library searches. I read dozens of materials. The candidates are as follows:

Dymar Lynx with extended controls
Dymar 280
Dymar 830
GEC Worcester (RC620)
GEC RC665
Pye Westminster

with various mic and handsets...

The main problem is that some of them are AM radios so there is no way to make comm to Pye PF8 wakie-talkie directly.
Also, some of them are operating in VHF bands so again there is no way to talk to PF8 directly.
This problem could be solved in the movie by the fact that calls go through the operator to the CI5 switchboard and relay pass it to another radio.

Another problem is the agents including Alpha-1 are using different mics even during single scene in the episode. So hard to identify the radio inside of the car.
Mostly the mic visible in the scenes is hexagonal black shaped with top PTT switch so it indicates some of the Dymar Lynx or GEC types. (except some of scenes where it looks like big lite colored mic in Pye Westminster style)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1514571796
...picture shows Dymar 830 but as it is in restored vehicle by collector, so it is just speculation if this type has been used in the movie.

What is confirmed by several pictures from the movie itself is usage of the Dymar Lynx transceiver with extended control box in a vehicle driven by 4-5 in S05E06. This Lynx system with extended control can be found here
https://www.dtels.org/assets/documents/Intercom-5.pdf
...page 7

Also visible in screenshot here:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...hone-489643635

73 - Petr, OK1RP
Old 12th Jul 2024, 2:43 pm   #9
indians
Diode

Btw: Has anyone noticed that Doyle uses the call sign 4-6 in the second series (first episode) instead of the later 4-5?

Nicely visible the Dymar Lynx extended control box in this S02E01 at 42:36:00 installed in Doyle's car.

Petr OK1RP