UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 8th Jul 2024, 8:35 pm   #21
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Re: Royal Wootton Bassett swapmeet and auction 7th July 2024

Good evening,
I was another very good BVWS event and it seemed to go by very quickly. Had a good chat with several forum members and everyone seemed in a good mood. The footfall seemed a little down from last years event. The egg roll and cake went down a treat!

I came away with a few acquisitions. A Racal frequency standard for repair, and a couple of radios. One being an unusual looking Ace radio. This is a very long, low form cabinet and I first thought it was a home made set made out of old floor boards! First one I have seen that uses pins and split pins to hold the chassis in the cabinet! I bought a little Crompton schools type meter which has cleaned up nicely this evening.

I bought the 23" GEC dual standard set in the auction for £5. It is a beauty and as long as the LOPT and CRT are ok, it should be fairly easy to get going as most of the capacitors are Mullard mustard type rather than Hunts and wax paper type. It has both VHF and UHF tuners installed. I then acquired a couple of free Bush 405 line television sets which failed to sell in the auction just before leaving. I am very grateful and will hopefully have a go at getting them going later on. Had a job to fit them in the car!

I also got the motor tuned Philips set with 4 EL84's which looks a good winter project as well as a Perdio Portorama set. I have already caught Mrs Chicken having a good look around them hoping they have a fresh supply of spiders in!

The turbo boost pipe burst on my car on the way home causing some grief as it went into limp mode all the way home! I am already looking forward to the next event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gec.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	300005   Click image for larger version

Name:	ace.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	300006   Click image for larger version

Name:	ace 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	300007   Click image for larger version

Name:	meter.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	300008   Click image for larger version

Name:	checking aquisitions.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	300009  

Old 10th Jul 2024, 8:37 am   #22
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: Royal Wootton Bassett swapmeet and auction 7th July 2024

It was another cracking day at RWB – thanks to the BVWS guys.

I bought a H.A.C one valve set from Neil’s stall – I suppose, this is 'a simple radio as one is going to get. Its long time since I’ve played with battery valve like the LD210. I didn’t know H.A.C used custom Denco octal coils.

I also bagged the Philips cassette player, mic, power supply and tapes in the auction – I’m now the proud owner of a Bay City Roller cassette – now where did I put that tartan clobber…

I was tempted by the motor tuned Philips with four E/UL84’s and separate LF/HF amplifiers, anyway, its good to see it gone to a good home. For as much as I wanted it, I successfully sat on my hands..., it was tough, but I did it. If I bought that the wife would have gone berserk on seeing that, more so seeing I said I won’t be buying anything that big.

And of course, the usual bag of plugs, sockets ‘n’ stuff… and an Alice Mic preamplifier from Jeremy’s stall… I know bunch of broadcasters who use Alice gear, and they may find it useful.

Terry
Valvepower is online now   Reply With Quote