UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 16th Jun 2024, 3:48 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Valve Retaining Clips: Is It Really That Easy?

I've recently had a revelation. Since 2015 I've been reinstalling these clips by lifting the 'curl' over the pip of the valve like some kind of neanderthal with a pair of pliers. It's nerve wracking stuff, especially when dealing with a pair of NOS ECL86s!

I can't remember what I was doing, but it occurred to me that you could push the clip over the valve and it would snap into place. I tried it and I cold not believe it! I've been doing this wrong since I was 18.

I've tried to illustrate this with a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3748.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	299091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	299092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	299093  
OldTechFan96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2024, 6:56 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve Retaining Clips: Is It Really That Easy?

It just shows you are never to old to learn ,never had a problem myself . Mick.
vinrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2024, 7:19 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Absolutely!
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2024, 1:27 pm   #4
Chrispy57
Heptode

I can well understand how Oldtechfan96 may have embarked on his alternative method of closing the valve retainer, given that it "swings both ways" and some valves are easier to access from one side rather than the other.

In an earlier, now closed, thread I mentioned that I had once used a copper wire as a valve retainer, and met with some criticism of copper being totally unsuitable for the task. That started the wheels turning, and I kept a casual eye out for another easy to work material that had some of the desired "springiness", and can now recommend the use of the steel spiral binder from an old used notepad in this application. At 0.85mm diameter it can be shaped with finger pressure alone, but will spring back quite happily when pushed over the valve - and it costs nothing!

Cheers
Chris
Chrispy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2024, 1:40 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Reminiscent of the clips on the end of transit screws of 1960s/70s BSR and Garrard autochangers.

I'm sure many of us awkwardly prised them off with a screwdriver until the penny dropped and we realised they could be flipped 90 degrees in a fraction of a second with no tools required and with no risk of loss or breakage.

This is another reason I prefer to dismantle things that I'm getting rid of, rather than binning them intact. You can learn a lot about how they go together, which makes dismantling another one to repair at a later date a whole lot easier.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2024, 2:06 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes, I have to admit, for years I was making the same mistake.
Old 17th Jun 2024, 9:39 pm   #7
OldTechFan96
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Reminiscent of the clips on the end of transit screws of 1960s/70s BSR and Garrard autochangers.

I'm sure many of us awkwardly prised them off with a screwdriver until the penny dropped and we realised they could be flipped 90 degrees in a fraction of a second with no tools required and with no risk of loss or breakage.

This is another reason I prefer to dismantle things that I'm getting rid of, rather than binning them intact. You can learn a lot about how they go together, which makes dismantling another one to repair at a later date a whole lot easier.
That was me in 2016 with my first proper turntable, a BSR MP60!
OldTechFan96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2024, 7:26 am   #8
Beardyman
Hexode

Yes, me too!
It wasn't until about a year ago when I was restoring a Marconiphone record player for a friend that it finally dawned on me that I had been struggling unnecessarily for years
As they say, every day is a school day.
Old 1st Jul 2024, 5:13 pm   #9
agardiner
Octode

Yup, I am also in the camp of only recently discovering I have been doing wrong my entire life!
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2024, 9:37 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's the ones with two springs and a ring on top you need to be wary of! No easy way on with those (is there? )