UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 9th Jul 2024, 12:05 pm   #21
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Default Re: Aiwa AD F450 Cassette Deck - Case Opening?

Thanks for your advice Nick.
I will do as you suggest later this afternoon and report back.
DoWahDiddy54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2024, 2:55 pm   #22
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Hi Nick,
Switched the cables. Both meters are moving, and now to my surprise both speakers are working, terrific. I didn't push the interconnects in as far when i switched them as i pushed them in first time around. Don't know why this should have made a difference, but it has. Thanks
Old 9th Jul 2024, 5:17 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done!

Sometimes, tarnished contacts on plugs and sockets will clean themselves up after a few insertions/removals.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2024, 5:30 pm   #24
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWahDiddy54321 View Post
Hi Nick,
Switched the cables. Both meters are moving, and now to my surprise both speakers are working, terrific. I didn't push the interconnects in as far when i switched them as i pushed them in first time around. Don't know why this should have made a difference, but it has. Thanks
As Nick says, contacts on switches, plugs and sockets tarnish with age and this forms a resistive barrier to current flow. The effect can be intermittent or in bad cases 'permanent' until cleaned. In the case of any of those 'contacts' you can mechanically 'work' them to remove the tarnish, or if bad they'll need a squirt of switch cleaner followed by repeated operation (on/off, in/out) to complete the job.
Old 9th Jul 2024, 6:03 pm   #25
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Thanks very much Nick and for your help.

Hi Steve, the interconnect ends and connection ports look pretty clean to be fair, as my hifi gear has always been indoors even when not in use, it's never been in a loft or outbuilding. I will mechanically work them as per your advice initially and hopefully that will do the job and then use some cleaner if it doesn't.

I've tried 6 different tapes during the day and all played ok. 4 were BASF 90s that i used to make my own recordings from my vinyl. 2 were "proper" recordings bought back in the day. So the Springsteen tape that won't work (i've retried it) is the only rogue one so far. Do you know if there is some procedure i can follow to diagnose the problem and effect a repair to get it working? One of my BASF tapes sounded very dull on playback, but i guess that may be due to deterioration in the tape itself (it is over 40 years old!)? Or maybe i should buy a tape cleaner and play that through (i did clean the heads with IPA when i had the mechanism apart to change the belts)?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 9th Jul 2024, 6:15 pm   #26
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Parts of the cassette shell can give problems; transferring the spools to to another shell should work. The standard answer was a Cassette Salvage Kit, an NOS one is here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196046252338
Simon Gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2024, 6:44 pm   #27
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Thanks Simon,
It's a shame about my Springsteen tape but i will probably live with losing that one. However, i would seriously consider this solution for any of my home made recordings that fail to play. I made these up from both my own and a friend's vinyl collection many years ago. Some of the original records subsequently "went missing" during house moves and given the resurgent interest in vinyl in recent years, some of them would be very expensive to replace nowadays, so it would be nice to at least have the taped copies available to play.

My thanks to everyone who has been helping me with the problems i've had with deck and the tapes, and also for taking the time to explain the reasons for some of the problems occurring.
Old 10th Jul 2024, 9:13 am   #28
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Thought i'd better clean the play head and pinch roller again after the rogue tape refused to play in case it has deposited some residue on these parts. I've got a couple of decades old cleaning tapes - does anyone know if these could still be effective to use? Modern day equivalents seem to all come from China, are these any good? Or would i be better off just using some cotton buds and IPA to do it (if so, i hope i could do this effectively without having to disassemble the deck again to get at these parts)? Thinking about it, is it safe to use IPA on the pinch roller (i only used some Platenclene on it when i had the deck apart)?
Old 10th Jul 2024, 9:53 am   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Cotton buds and IPA for me, every time. Barely damp, not dripping!

Prefer Platenclene or similar on the pinch roller, as some people feel IPA will damage the rubber, though I suspect this isn't an issue on domestic decks which only get a quick clean once a year if they're very lucky.

Sometimes the door fascia can be unclipped to get better access. Good lighting is worthwhile.

You can also "trick" the mech into operating by gently depressing the tape sensor switches operated by the "spine" of the cassette, then selecting play, play/pause, RW, FF or whatever. Play/pause is handy because the capstan will spin and the head and pinch wheel will be easier to get at than when fully retracted.
Old 10th Jul 2024, 11:49 am   #30
stevehertz
Dekatron

To clean a pinch roller in a confined space, apply the IPA'd cotton bud firmly to it 'sweeping' the bud across the roller at an angle of 45 degrees. This will both wipe/clean the roller and simultaneously move it around a tad to the next bit. Keep doing this, changing or rotating the bud until no more 'darkness' is seen on it. Allow to dry before trying the transport. BTW, I use a dedicated pinch roller rubber cleaner not IPA. As Nick says, it's unlikely to do any damage for the purpose a thorough clean, but continued use is best avoided.
Old 10th Jul 2024, 9:08 pm   #31
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Thanks for your advice again chaps.
I will have a go at cleaning with some buds this weekend. Don't know where the tape sensors are but when you mention the cassette spine, i guess this means they must be somewhere at the top of the compartment. Hopefully all will become clear when i tackle the task. I will research beforehand whether the door is removable.
Old 10th Jul 2024, 9:42 pm   #32
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

They’re the sensors which also determine the tape type and if recording has been disabled by prising out the tab, pic here: https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/ab...notches.38726/
Old 10th Jul 2024, 10:20 pm   #33
jamesperrett
Octode

You should be able to access the heads sufficiently to clean them just by opening the door. The door fascia on the AD-F450 unclips by sliding it upwards to give access to the head azimuth adjustment while the tape is moving but you shouldn't need this for normal cleaning.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2024, 3:17 pm   #34
DoWahDiddy54321
Tetrode

Sorry Nick, I must be thick. I just opened the tape compartment and figured you were referring to the 4 levers at the top rear of it. I pressed in the one that's second from the left, pressed Play but nothing happened. (According to Exploded View 2 in the service manual the lever I pressed is part 2.10 Lever, Tape Sensor (I can't get a copy of the AD F450 manual so I'm referring to the AD F410 manual as I understand this deck is similar in construction)). Obviously I've misunderstood how to trick the mechanism into thinking it's playing a tape. Problem is that this lever won't pop out again now, so I'm wondering if I've broken something. I won't do anything else for the time being.

Thanks for the advice James, had a look and it will be a bit tight but yes I think I will be able to get at the heads ok with just the door open