UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 6th Jul 2024, 6:14 pm   #1
Emmauj2
Diode

Default Belling Heater Type 402

Hi new to forum and I have a mint green type 402 Belling Heater does any one know when where they were made? Can not find anything on the net? A bit scared to use as it kicks out so much heat out the back!. Any advice welcome does anyone know of this heater?
Emmauj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2024, 9:11 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling Heater Type 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmauj2 View Post
Hi new to forum and I have a mint green type 402 Belling Heater does any one know when where they were made? Can not find anything on the net?

Depending upon the age and model of your heater, I'd say it was likely made at their Southbury Road, Enfield site - not far from the big Ferguson TV factory (now a Tesco supermarket, I believe). I remember walking past Belling's Enfield factory in 1979, en route to a job interview at Fergusons (known as Thorn Consumer Electronics by then).

Belling & Co Ltd. Charles Reginald Belling was born at Bodmin, Cornwall in 1884. He served an apprenticeship in electrical engineering with Crompton & Co of Chelmsford. He subsequently joined the staff of Ediswan at Ponders End. In 1912 he started his own business in Lancaster Road, Enfield, manufacturing electric heaters. In 1913 he acquired additional factory space at Derby Road, Edmonton. The range of products widened to include electric water heaters (1913) electric cookers (1919) and immersion heaters (1920).

A new purpose-built factory was opened at “Bridge Works”, Southbury Road in 1924. The premises have since been progressively enlarged. A second factory was opened at Burnley, Lancashire in 1956.

In 1958-64, at Bridge Works, Southbury Road, Enfield, Middx. Mr Belling died on 8th February 1965, aged 80. Belling & Co went bust in the 1980’s.

In 1992, the brand (and some assets?) was acquired by Glen Dimplex plc.
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2024, 10:12 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

I had a couple of them years ago, used one to heat my workshop, many a trouser leg smoked when folk stood too close! They're great vintage electric fires, but they're heavy on electricity, easily knocked over if not placed on a hearth in a fireplace and they wouldn't meet modern safety standards. They will get hot at the back, hence they should really be stood in a fireplace and not against a combustible wall or furniture. It may need a new mains lead fitting if it still has the original cloth covered rubber insulated one, other than that just use it with care and watch those electricity bills - I wish I could find another the same as the two I had. Date from 1934 according to the link below:-
https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...lectric-heater
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2024, 9:46 am   #4
JohnBHanson
Heptode

I think that the queen (Elizabeth) used one of these at Windsor Castle!
JohnBHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2024, 8:33 pm   #5
Brigham
Octode

Mint Green was one of the new colours introduced in the 1957/8 catalogue, alongside Pastel Blue. Of the previous two colours, Beige remained, but Brown was deleted.
I have the No.401 in Brown, which is the single-bar 1kW size. Two-bar versions are No.402, and three-bar No.403.
There ought to be a switch for half/full heat. They are brilliantly effective, and, yes, a 2kW fire as compact as this DOES throw a lot of heat out of the back!
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote