UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Old 5th Jul 2024, 12:52 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Rotary 746 phone not dialing out

Hi all

I have my old rotary 746 phone plugged into my BT router and I know that it takes incoming calls. Yesterday I had cause to try to dial out and it didn't do anything... it wasn't an emergency, so not a major problem.

I am clearly no expert on these things, but it certainly used to work on the old socket. Any ideas what the problem might be?

To be fair it's almost never used - I just like to have it there and working in the event of mobiles going down.

Martin
Old 5th Jul 2024, 1:04 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Rotary 746 phone not dialing out

Is this one you bought from me some years ago?

If so it's been converted to work with a plug and socket system where the ring capacitor is in the master socket.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2024, 1:22 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Martin,

Nice to see you back.

No dialing out when connected to the BT router suggests that your router can only accept DTMF ("tone") dialling, whereas the 746 with its rotary dial (obviously) uses traditional LD ("pulse") signalling.

Try it out in someone else's house who still has a traditional "analogue" phone line. It will probably work fine.

If this is the case, you need some kind of tone-to-pulse converter, e.g. Dialgizmo, Rotatone etc.
https://www.dialgizmo.com/
https://www.telephonelines.net/index...roducts_id=922

As always, happy to help out practically if you want, time permitting.

N.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2024, 3:53 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks chaps.

This is not the one I got from you @Station X - it's another I have which I made look like my grandparents' old phone which got lost but had happy memories for me. I recall doing some sort of conversion on it to work on the plug and socket line and it did work both ways.

I may look into one of those devices @Nickthedentist but with the amount it gets used I may wait and see if one pops up on here second hand.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to speak to me, you will have to ring me I guess it saves on the phone bill!

This may be a daft question, but I will ask it anyway. Is there any way to dial via the mouthpiece? By that I mean an app that creates tones, or am I mixing a few things up?

Last edited by Martin Bush; 5th Jul 2024 at 4:08 pm.
Martin Bush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2024, 4:35 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There’s an app called Dialer which generates tones. Holding the speaker of your phone to the 746 mouthpiece should then do as you describe.
Old 5th Jul 2024, 5:23 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
If this is the case, you need some kind of tone-to-pulse converter, e.g. Dialgizmo, Rotatone etc.
I think Nick meant "pulse-to-tone" converter. Tone-to-pulse is what would be needed to get a DTMF 'phone to dial into a mechanical exchange such as some of us have. These seem to be much rarer than pulse-to-tone.

Incidentally, if the router not accepting LD pulses is the problem, you will have the same problem with any pulse-only 'phone.
Old 5th Jul 2024, 7:04 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Sorry Dave, you're right
Old 7th Jul 2024, 8:47 pm   #8
Gabe001
Octode

£22.99 | Dial Type Old Telephone Pulse Signal TO Dual Tone Multiple Frequency Audio DTMF Converter FOR Network / Fiber Rotary Telephone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGaNYFt

Works well with my 332. You will probably need to reinstate the phone's ringing capacitor. Also flip the red and green wires if the red led doesn't illuminate when you dial.
Gabe001 is offline   Reply With Quote