UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2009, 11:52 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Bush VHF 64 what have I done?

OK so the restoration was going well =all Hunts caps replaced, fired up works OK on MW & SW. No hum!

Noticed the EABC 80 valve holder was really dodgy and giving intermittent contact so decided to change it. Drew out where everything went ( I thought) and change the valve holder. Fired up again and it screeches like h*ll.

Pulled the eabc 80 and just a faint hum of life- Checked all the connections and even took them all off and re did them and it still screeches. Tried a different EABC 80. same result. So I have done something wrong!

The 6.8M resistor is connected to the centre of the valve holder as an anchor and I drew it as connecting to pin 7, which is shown as connecting to chassis
I did not note down where this was taken to chassis. I have used pin 5 the heater return point .

Remove this and all the screeching goes but no signal. Any ideas? Could a kind soul who has one take a photo of this area and post it here.

Thanks
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 3:34 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF 64 what have I done?

Have you put all the wires back in the same place. It's surprising sometimes.

Try not using the heater pin at all. Take that cap to deck in the middle and not via the pin.

Does it do this on all bands?

Check your wiring against the Bush Manual. It does have a diagram of sorts.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 8:59 am   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Tricky to photo as it's still in the cabinet so I've snapped it through the access hatch in the base.
Hopefully this should assist you in getting everything order back the in right !

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vhf94 002.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	26606  
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 3:11 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bush VHF 64 what have I done?

I can’t quite make out pin1 of your picture but the 6M8 appears to be connected to pin 8 (triode grid), (has this value changed because of soldering). It ‘sounds’ as if you may have introduced positive feedback, if you have connected the 6M8 to pin7 cathode.

Geof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eabc80.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	26612  
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 6:53 pm   #5
PWH
Heptode

Thank you guys & Setsappeal for the photo. I see what I have done. I'll go and try it and report back...
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 7:09 pm   #6
PWH
Heptode

If I could just clarify
The black wire connecting to the tag strip- the end pointing at the green band on the resistor - Is that wire the only connection to that pin?

The resistor- what is the wire at the blue end connected to? From the photo It looks like the yellow & brown wire but I don't think so..

Thanks again Guys..
Old 29th Jun 2009, 4:10 pm   #7
PWH
Heptode

The problem was that the black wire shown in the photo had dropped off when I was unsoldering the other end. Not knowing where it came from I guessed (wrong) so the lesson learnt is take a photo first.!

The AM now works marvellously on all bands but FM only produces a faint hiss. Tried various ECC85's and have a new EABC 80 and ECL 81but not a hint of audio.. Any clues how to diagnose??
Thanks
Peter
Old 29th Jun 2009, 4:28 pm   #8
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH View Post
The problem was that the black wire shown in the photo had dropped off when I was unsoldering the other end. Not knowing where it came from I guessed (wrong) so the lesson learnt is take a photo first.!

Peter
Easily done Peter - Glad it's now 'better' I was going to say working, but clearly there's more to do !

According to the manufacturers data, around 17ma of HT should be drawn by the VHF tuner unit. If you measure across switch S6B with the set on AM, you should be able to check this to see if both halves of the ECC85 are drawing current. Much less and you may have a faulty anode feed resistor ( R2,R4 ) or much more ,a defective decoupler ( C4, C7 ) . Failing that, could anyone have tweaked the IFT adjustments ?
To get top drawer performance, you'll probably have to change both EF89s as these lose emission quite badly.

Andy
Old 29th Jun 2009, 5:11 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

First thing to do is see if 10.7 gets out OK. If it does it's the VHF box. If it does not, go forward to the IF stages.

Those pushbuttton wavechange switches are the root of all evil by the way...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 7th Jul 2009, 8:17 am   #10
PWH
Heptode

Following Setsappeal's advice I noted no current being drawn, thenthat the ECC85 was stone cold. A dodgy valve holder was found to be the culprit and tweaked.. Once the valve got hot, it worked!.

Set now working splendidly

Thanks all.
Old 7th Jul 2009, 11:13 am   #11
yestertech
Nonode

Excellent news - These are great sounding radios A.
Old 7th Jul 2009, 6:11 pm   #12
monoman
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsappeal View Post
Excellent news - These are great sounding radios A.
I heartily concur! Glad you got it sorted Peter.

Brian.
Old 7th Jul 2009, 7:38 pm   #13
PWH
Heptode

Out of interest this is in the 4000 serial No range and has the factory humbucking mod
Closed Thread