UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2019, 6:01 pm   #1
collisr
Pentode

Default Panasonic S-VHS HS830 - Broken Video Head?

Hi there,

Here's an effect I've not seen before. Dusted off an old Panasonic HS830 (s-vhs) deck that I had not used before, and before deciding to do too much with it, thought I would try a tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwzpfb6UoJE

As you can see the picture has a great big noise bar at the top (which sometimes rolls to the bottom), a "wobbling" image and uniform noise-like horizontal bars at equal distances throughout the picture. If I hadn't tried multiple known-good tapes, i would have thought it was recorded during a high pressure "tropo-" event.

Cleaned the heads and no change.

Any ideas?

Rob
Old 27th Aug 2019, 7:12 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic S-VHS HS830 - Broken Video Head?

First thing I would want to do is eliminate the possibility of gross mis-tracking due to one or both inclined tape guides being misaligned.

How well does it play back a recording you've made on it, in its current state?
Old 27th Aug 2019, 7:31 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

Could be a lazy cap in the power supply or head preamp. Leave it running with a known-good tape and check up on it after an hour or so to see if there's any improvement.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:39 pm   #4
jayceebee
Heptode

I'll also go with a tape guide issue, doesn't look PSU or heads. The machine I believe is fitted with the Z mech and a couple of gears were prone to breaking a tooth or two which meant one or both of the guides weren't fully located into the V blocks.

John.
Old 28th Aug 2019, 8:48 am   #5
collisr
Pentode

Thanks John and Graham. I think you're onto something. After laceup, the guides still have some play (backwards) into the V blocks. I'll investigate....
Old 30th Aug 2019, 3:48 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You can usually carefully persuade the left guide to locate in the V-block - if that removes the bar you've found the problem. They had odd gears with internal springs whcih always gave the impression of being about to jump out of alignment! Replacing the pair is best -provided you can find them.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 1:53 am   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

That looks like a misaligned tape path. Use a flat-tipped screwdriver and slowly adjust the tape guides until you get a perfect picture and noise-free hi-fi sound. A scope probably needed to bring it to factory alignment.

Fivos
Old 31st Aug 2019, 1:43 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

But never try to adjust until all mechanical defects are either ruled out or repaired.
Old 1st Sep 2019, 11:36 am   #9
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I would make certain that there is absolutely no dirt or foreign matter preventing the control head being in proper contact with the tape.
It is unlilely that the tape guides have become out of alignment on their own during storage, so I suggest that they should be one of the last things you resort to adjusting, especially if you do not have a proper alignment tape.
John123's suggestion is also very valid, as many electrolytics go low capacity if left un-polarised for a lengthy period of time, causing weird faults to appear, and is an easily done test, too. Tony

Last edited by boxdoctor; 1st Sep 2019 at 11:41 am.
Old 1st Sep 2019, 5:31 pm   #10
collisr
Pentode

Thanks for all the comments. On close inspection it appears one of the drive cogs that completes the lace into the V-blocks is split. To make matters worse, I also managed to split the ribbon cable to the lower video drum during disassembly (doh!) so I think think this machine is going into the spares pile for now.
Closed Thread