UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 3rd Jun 2019, 11:24 pm   #1
Matt101
Diode

Default Evening people. Choosing a radiogram.

Evening to the forum

Joined mainly to get information about old style audio. I have loads of vinyl records from my ex DJing days. Would like to get some 'proper' equipment to play them on.

Currently building the wife a 'craft' room in the garden and she has her heart set on an old school radiogram/stereogram 'like my mum had' as she puts it, to have in there. I would like to put her off it but it's not happening. So that said is there any types I should look for over any others? I have no knowledge of these whatsoever.

Thanks

Matt
Matt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2019, 9:08 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Evening people

Welcome Matt.

I would caution against buying a vintage radiogram if you have little interest in the underlying technology. These things are maybe 60 years old and living with one is very like using a classic car as everyday transport - it can be done, but there is a lot of work involved. If you don't want to do the work yourself you will need to pay somebody else to do it, assuming you can find somebody local with the right skills, and this will quickly become expensive.

A 70s or 80s hifi system will be easier to live with if your wife will accept that, and there are more people with the skills to fix it if it goes wrong.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2019, 9:26 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Octode

Back in 1974, and my girlfriend's (now wife of 41 years) father asked my advice about what stereo system to buy, I took him out to audio shops in Newcastle and tried to persuade him to buy a Quad 33/303 and preferably ESL57's, a Thorens TD150 deck/SME/Shure. He could certainly have afforded it.

To his mind that was just too radical. So he bought a radiogram - the sort of wooden thing with a speaker at each end, and a hinged bit that opened to reveal the deck/tuner/cassette deck, and a turn over cartridge. In fairness as a trad jazz fan he had a massive collection of 78's, so he needed that capability, and I missed that in my recommendation (although two M75's, one fitted with a regular elliptical and another with a 78 spherical would also have worked)

So I'm with Paul. Steer clear of the radiogram. I'm not necessarily suggesting the Quad option, but a 70's or 80's separates system will give you much higher fidelity.

You might have really taken care of your vinyl. But if it is in the state of that when I ran the Southampton University disco back in the day, it will certainly need to be cleaned! Ours were a mixture of fingerprints, cigarette and other "herbal" smoke, and spilled beer.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2019, 10:10 am   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Well,I know where there is a nice 50's radiogram and free to good home in London.
Though it will need carefully checking over before putting the mains through it.

PM or email me if of interest, I have put on the forum lately but no takers as yet.
Old 4th Jun 2019, 2:20 pm   #5
Matt101
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Welcome Matt.

I would caution against buying a vintage radiogram if you have little interest in the underlying technology. These things are maybe 60 years old and living with one is very like using a classic car as everyday transport - it can be done, but there is a lot of work involved. If you don't want to do the work yourself you will need to pay somebody else to do it, assuming you can find somebody local with the right skills, and this will quickly become expensive.

A 70s or 80s hifi system will be easier to live with if your wife will accept that, and there are more people with the skills to fix it if it goes wrong.
Hi Paul. I trained as a sparky in my younger years and a refrigeration engineer too. Have a good working knowledge of systems etc. I'm not afraid to tackle jobs as long as I have a little guidance I can accomplish most jobs. But I hear what you're saying but I think she has her heart set on one as that is he 'look' she wants.

Thanks

Matt
Old 4th Jun 2019, 3:15 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It's not particularly difficult to maintain an old radiogram if you have reasonable practical skills, but it will soon start to feel tedious if you aren't enjoying it for its own sake.

This forum is very supportive if you decide to proceed anyway.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2019, 4:09 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

If you'd said on here a few years ago that you wanted a radiogram, there would have been a queue of cars with trailers full, or the things upside down on roof racks, outside your place. You couldn't give them away, with the exception of some especially grand jobs by Decca etc.

Nowadays, there is sign of renewed interest in them.

I'd still go for well-chosen 70s and 80s hifi.... but if we all had the same interests, imagine the queues!

Oh, and welcome!

david
Old 4th Jun 2019, 5:53 pm   #8
Matt101
Diode

Personally I am on the look out for a nice turntable and an amp. Couple of decent speakers and I will be happy. The radiogram is something she wants in her woman-cave. As with us all we do what they ask and then we can do no wrong!!

I will have a search around and see whats available.

Expect some questions people!
Old 4th Jun 2019, 6:15 pm   #9
llama
Octode

I'd say the first question in specifying the correct gear is whether an auto-changer or a manual record deck is required.
Graham
Old 4th Jun 2019, 6:56 pm   #10
Matt101
Diode

Manual record deck would be my assumption.

We both have vinyl we have collected over the years and she inherited her late fathers Beatles, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull etc etc albums so I know she wouldn't want to risk stacking them up.

Wouldn't need to be loud as the Woman-cave is about 3m x 3m so a shorter cased model would be good. Radio would be nice.

So any ideas what I should look for.
Old 4th Jun 2019, 8:32 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Pye Black Box, transistor version may suit??

But no radio!
Old 4th Jun 2019, 9:53 pm   #12
Matt101
Diode

This is the sort of thing the wife wants in her 'shed'

https://www.gumtree.com/p/record-pla...ram/1340691314
Old 5th Jun 2019, 10:50 am   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Is it Opera or what, as I get " access denied" for the Gumtree site?
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:08 am   #14
Station X

It works for me using MS Edge.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:26 am   #15
Hartley118
Octode

Default Re: Evening people. Chosing a radiogram.

OK here on Firefox.
Martin
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:52 am   #16
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Evening people. Choosing a radiogram.

That's one of the most modern, minimalist/scandinavian styles.

You could easily have that sort of cabinet with a Japanese tuner-amp inserted and a hifi turntable.

As an alternative... have you shown her any photos of Bang and Olufsen stuff? You might get a very favourable reaction.

David
Old 5th Jun 2019, 11:53 am   #17
G8HQP Dave
Dekatron

You might have some difficulty in finding a radiogram which will not damage your records. However, if they have already been played on such equipment in the past then this probably doesn't matter too much.

Having the speakers in the same cabinet as the record deck is bad engineering, although very acceptable domestically. To cope with this the deck will be robustly engineered and use a heavy tracking force. In most cases a ceramic cartridge with limited compliance will be fitted. This is fine when all you want is a pleasant noise for a party, but don't expect hi-fi and don't expect the records to sound OK when subsequently played on a decent system.

Some may say I am exaggerating, but I like to preserve what vinyl I have so I would never play them on a 1960s deck. I once played one of my LPs on my Dad's Pye Blackbox (one of the better items from that era) and the groove damage could be seen simply by comparing the played part with the unplayed part (I only left it on for a few minutes).
G8HQP Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 12:16 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Not sure whats happened as FireFox in Kappersky private browser will not work either on that link.
Old 5th Jun 2019, 12:21 pm   #19
cliff2903
Triode

You could pop down the Fife street club and have a word with Courtney.

Last edited by cliff2903; 5th Jun 2019 at 12:25 pm. Reason: Spelling
cliff2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2019, 12:31 pm   #20
AC/HL

The link is OK, just open it in another browser. More recent radiograms with a properly set up pickup arm and a good stylus should be fine for most people. My only comment is that unless it's quite a spacious den, being unable to use such a large surface area might be a problem.