UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2014, 5:56 pm   #21

Default Re: 12V Charger

Try and pull out the pin in the middle, a pointy thing sometimes gets them out. Otherwise just punch the pin right through. The back of the fastener is spread by the pin.

Old 10th Dec 2014, 6:55 pm   #22
Pete_kaye
Octode

Pins removed with a small drill and reusable but centres missing. Mains TRX only gives 13V AC when isolated and rectifier gives various different resistances depending on which way probes connected on all 4 pins, disconnected .
I now suspect TRX has a short as I reckon about 15v should be minimum. what does anyone else say? TRX has 80R on primary and about 0.8R on secondary, making it about 10:1 .This should produce 24V
Old 10th Dec 2014, 7:12 pm   #23
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I have used and fixed many "Old" chargers. If the meter gives a flick, as mentioned in the first post, it generally means an O/C. Typical is fuse/ fuse holder/ Low voltage (6/12) selector or why?
A modern one will aim for 14 volt output, which means about 10v secondary (10 X sq rt 2 = 14.1v, minus 2 X 0.6v drop (bridge rec) = 12.9v. In other words, about 10-11v on secondary is just about correct.
Now with the MUCH older chargers, with selenium rectifiers, the secondary voltage would be higher, not sur what, but possibly 14v. As suggested earlier, this allowed a much higher voltage at low current, usefull with a dead flat battery.
I have fixed up a few of these, but I ALWAYS add a few resistors, allowing the possibility of various charge rates.
Back in 1960, I had a surprise when I went to charge my M/bike battery at work. We had a very old charger which was used to charge an identical battery for a kiln safety alarm. After the big surprise right up my arm, I discovered it was simply a half wave rectifier direct off the mains. I think it was a copper oxide recifier. Whatever, it gave about half an amp into just about any string of batteries you cared to connect to it. It was just wiser to switch it off before connection.
Les.
Old 10th Dec 2014, 7:34 pm   #24
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

10:1 resistance does not mean 10:1 voltage, however you can find the ratio either by energising it as you have done or measuring the inductance.

A shorted turn will dissipate a lot of energy and the transformer will get hot even with no load. I think that the rectifier is the culprit. If you have the courage, you could measure the voltage before and after the rectifier. The voltage measurement will be low unless a battery or capacitor is put across the output to select the peak value.

As a quick check you could have measured the primary resistance and the rectifier volt drop (two diodes) without any dismantling. What type of rectifier do you have?
Old 10th Dec 2014, 7:37 pm   #25
Pete_kaye
Octode

Not sure what type of rectifier I have but here is a photo..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	101374  
Old 10th Dec 2014, 7:41 pm   #26
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Selenium or copper oxide, about 1 Amp?
Old 10th Dec 2014, 8:00 pm   #27
Pete_kaye
Octode

Ammeter reads to 4 Amps.
Old 10th Dec 2014, 8:59 pm   #28
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Pete, as a temporary trial use 4, 1N400 series diodes in a bridge and feeding about 100uF of capacitor. With luck you will now have about 14 or 15 volts DC.
If that is so it is worth investing in a 4A silicon bridge, or use 4, 4A rated diodes. In this application you do not need to add additional resistance in series with the lower loss Si rectifiers.

Ed
Old 11th Dec 2014, 1:12 am   #29
AC/HL
Dekatron

If the transformer is not overheating when disconnected, it's probably OK whatever it measures. It the charger doesn't work the rectifier is the most likely culprit (there isn't much else in a simple charger) I can't find anything about it, but you know it's rated at 3A, and it is almost certainly Selenium.
Any bridge rated at over 3A should be OK, if you want to pursue this repair. You may struggle to get a Selenium replacement. Silicon may give different charge rates?
Old 11th Dec 2014, 2:09 am   #30
Alistair D
Nonode

In my(limited) experience of converting these simple battery chargers from selenium to silicon rectifiers the rise in charge current is significant. Adding series resistance will reduce the charge current but will not stop the battery overcharging if left connected for long periods. A possible solution would be to build a bridge rectifier with multiple diodes in each leg so that the forward voltage drop matches that of the original.

Al
Old 11th Dec 2014, 1:39 pm   #31
Herald1360
Dekatron

Or just a string of diodes in series with the output?

You need to end up with the battery sitting at about 2.4V per cell (14.4V for 12V battery) for a single cycle recharge or for long term trickle at 2.3V per cell (13.8V).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Dec 2014, 5:13 pm   #32
Pete_kaye
Octode

I have now been persuaded that the TRX is OK and rectifier is suspect as it gives almost similar resistance readings in either direction eg 18K then 12k or 6K and 3K, on all combinations of 4 pins.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 7:10 pm   #33
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you do switch to using modern silicon diodes or a 'bridge' to replace the old selenium/copper-oxide thing you need to introduce some extra series-resistance to limit the current, in place of the high forward-resistance of oldtimer rectifier-stacks.

I'd suggest a nice big metalclad resistor of 1.5 Ohm and at least 5 Watts would be a good start. You also need to use rectifiers/a bridge with decent current capability: it's fortunate that such beasties [typically 25A, 400V] are available in nice encapsulated blocks at pocket-money prices.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kbpc2504-2...ectifier-ar85g
Old 12th Dec 2014, 8:26 pm   #34
Nicklyons2
Octode

The original rectifiers look something like these (in vintage chargers). The one in the first pictures has a bi-metal 'cutout' attached to its heatsink. The second is a classic Selenium type both of these are workers and rated at around 4 amps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintage rect 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	101489   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage rect 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	101490   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage rect 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	101491   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage rect 4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	101492  
Old 12th Dec 2014, 8:32 pm   #35
Nicklyons2
Octode

The suggested remedy is to replace the original rectifier with a more modern Silicon type with the addition of a wirewound resistor to limit the current and 'mimic' the higher forward resistance of Selenium types. The devices shown are a 20Amp bridge rectifier and 0.47 and 1 Ohm wirewounds.

If you want to try either of these options I'll send you either the red selenium or the modern stuff for £4 inc P&P. P.M. me if you're interested,

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	replace rect 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	101493   Click image for larger version

Name:	replace rect rect 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	101494  
Old 12th Dec 2014, 11:30 pm   #36
Alistair D
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Or just a string of diodes in series with the output?
To answer your question. Extra diodes in series with the output of the bridge would also work.

Al
Old 13th Dec 2014, 12:22 am   #37
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
Extra diodes in series with the output of the bridge would also work.
That is quite true up to a point; depending on the transformers voltage output and the output impedance, the steep curve of the silicon diode's forward conduction can quite noticeably distort the sine wave out of the transformer, can cause core saturation and a quite hot transformer. Personally I've always found the low value resistor a 'kinder' and more predictable method + it helps limit destructive currents should there be a short.

You takes your choice but my home one has wirewounds in it.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 12:40 am   #38
Herald1360
Dekatron

Belt and braces then. Extra diodes after the bridge to limit peak volts to around 14.4 and some series resistance to limit short circuit current.

Or go the whole hog and fit a full house regulator based on something like a UC3906 plus a large capacitor to bring the dc up to peak volts.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 6:08 pm   #39
Pete_kaye
Octode

I have bought a KBPC604 Si single phase bridge . Is this a suitable part ? I can return it, if I wish, as it is local shop. The data sheet says 6A max and 35 V max input.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 7:30 pm   #40
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I read the data sheets differently. Voltage will be adequate.

Maximum current is 4.6A when feeding a capacitor or battery with temperature of case under 100degC. Bolting the device to a heat sink would be necessary.

It is a bit lightweight but should do.
Closed Thread