UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2013, 5:17 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Radio Service Data - Price Reduction, Free Postage and Special Forum Disc

Hi Jim,

Not Paul, but... have you tried them in another computer? It could be that your DVD drive is being picky about reading certain media.

Nick.

P.S. If/when you get them to be read on your machine, it's permissible (and recommended) that you copy the files to your computer's hard drive, where they'll be safer and quicker/easier to access.
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 5:25 pm   #22
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage Radio Service Data - Price Reduction, Free Postage and Special Forum Disc

Hi Nick
Thanks for your reply. I'll try on the laptop.

If I get to open them I'll take your advice and save to HD.

Jim
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 6:11 pm   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Some of my older CD-ROMs have failed over time. It is mainly the ones with self-adhesive labels, as it seems that the adhesive affects the reflective backing gradually. Those with printed or hand-written titles should still be OK, especially if they are on good brand disks.

I am no longer able to replace these (even the newest are over 5 years old now), but with the price of the DVD-ROM with this offer it would be easier and cheaper to buy a DVD-ROM anyway.

My current disks are all branded blank media (currently Maxell though it depends what I can get locally at the time) with printed titles, and I have had no reports of problems with these.

I do recommend copying the contents to your hard disk. Not only does it act as a backup but also it allows easier and quicker access to the data.

Some of the first BVWS CD-ROM (the orange coloured one, Trader 1-800) were badly pressed and either never worked or failed over time. The BVWS no longer have spares of this either (though we are hopefully making a DVD-ROM with the contents of the first four CD-ROMs sometime this year). Most of this data (apart from any TV data) is on my DVD-ROM.

The other BVWS CD-ROMs should work fine still.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 6:28 pm   #24
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Nick - They worked fine on the laptop. I've just tried an audio CD on PC and that doesn't play either. Have to find the fault. Thanks for your help.

Paul - as above the software seems OK. I never had any problems previously when using them regularly - even the orange one was fine. None of the VRSD discs have paper labels (two bright blue CD-R MEDIA.CO.UK and one Verbatim)

I am not using them often enough to need an upgrade and I can use them on laptop OK. So I'm good for now, thanks.

Nice to be back, even if I won't be here all that often.

Jim
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 9:52 pm   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Great to hear they're working after all. Do copy them to the laptop a.s.a.p. because as Paul says, optical discs don't last forever. It would only take you 5 minutes per disc at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekco1953 View Post
Have to find the fault...
...which will almost certainly be that your DVD drive is bust (sorry to be so technical)! You should be able to pick up a decent branded one for under £20 (possibly less these days) and replace it very easily. Before doing so, check that the data cable is properly seated at both ends though.

Nick.
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 11:45 pm   #26
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If you value "my documents" on any pc ,do backup at least twice.
Old 1st Apr 2013, 5:57 pm   #27
Superhet Si
Pentode

Finally ordered mine last week and it arrived on Saturday. Thanks Paul.
Old 1st Apr 2013, 6:05 pm   #28
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Si's post reminded me that I had not come back to tell you that it was the CD/DVD drive in my PC that was faulty. Replaced it and all is back to normal.

Thanks again, Jim.
Closed Thread