UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 5th Mar 2024, 8:52 pm   #21
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig Party Boy 700

C71 on your picture looks like a tantalum electrolytic. If that's the case there is a spot on one side and with the spot facing you, the + lead is on the right. It's just the way tantalum caps are marked.
Old 6th Mar 2024, 1:47 am   #22
pepmin 1
Pentode

Hi. Thanks for that. I did wonder if that was what it meant. Colin
pepmin 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2024, 10:15 pm   #23
pepmin 1
Pentode

Hi. Just thought I would pick your brains one last time about this radio. I have changed the electrolytics, checked all off the resistors and checked the transistors. To my eyes everything as far as that goes seems to be okay. I removed the two Zener diodes and checked that the power goes one way only and that that seems okay. I realize that there are that more in depth ways of checking but that is as far as I can go. I still have the same fault in that the BC639 output transistor gets very hot. I have a transistor shape on my finger to prove it. I changed the transistor out for a new one and that got very hot and has failed. I haven't checked any of the non polarized capacitors yet is that a possibility? I also have not removed the cover marked with the red dot in the pic. I know there are resistors and a transistor under there but the cover is well soldered to the board so I have left alone for now, In the few seconds that the transistor takes to get hot the crackle in the speaker is louder but still only a crackle. Is there any worth while checks I can do with the output transistor out of circuit as it only takes seconds to get extremely hot. Thx Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	294495  
pepmin 1 is offline   Reply With Quote