UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:13 am   #41
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Re: Radios with motor tuning units

I'm curious as to how the Defiant (which started this whole thread) can do motor tuning for shortwave. Other models I can find only offer motor tuning for LW / MW, and some online descriptions indicate that this is because the AFC doesn't work for shortwave.

I don't know how AFC works, so am not qualified to assess this!
Old 17th Nov 2022, 1:22 am   #42
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewferguson View Post
I'm curious as to how the Defiant (which started this whole thread) can do motor tuning for shortwave.
The stations intended to be accessible by pushbuttons are on MW and LW. For SW, press one of the SW buttons and use the tuning dial - there are small buttons on either side of the tuning knob for clockwise and anti-clockwise motor tuning to roughly the desired position.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:22 pm   #43
andrewferguson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
The stations intended to be accessible by pushbuttons are on MW and LW. For SW, press one of the SW buttons and use the tuning dial - there are small buttons on either side of the tuning knob for clockwise and anti-clockwise motor tuning to roughly the desired position.
Really? The Radio Museum page for the Defiant says:

Quote:
Motor Tuning Unit controlled by 12 station selector buttons operative on all 5 wavebands
Hence why I assumed it worked on the two shortwave bands as well.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 5:27 pm   #44
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'd have to examine the mechanism to check whether it's within the scope of user controls to set a button to a SW frequency, but even if it is I doubt it would have worked well under typical circumstances. I had a motor-tuned HMV radiogram some time ago which came with a sheet of little station labels printed with the various popular stations to which users were likely to assign the buttons. I expect something similar will have been provided with the MSH938 etc.. My 957 is missing the two labels on its far left - perhaps they were for LW and MW, as reading toward the right hand side the rest are Hilversum, North Reg., Hilversum 2, Scottish Reg., Welsh Reg., London Reg., British Nats. (I think - it's the most worn of the lot), then SW, SSW and Television.
Closed Thread