UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2022, 12:53 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Bush DAC90 on bargain hunt +100 years of BBC

Just watched Bargain hunt today and on today was a DAC 90 bought by celeb Tony Blackburn and Gyles Brandeth .(celeb bargain hunt)
Bought it for £60 and sold it for £65
This was a special episode made to celebrate 100 years of the BBC and included lots of other electronic related items reviewed over the 100 years.

Very interesting to watch .
Old 24th Oct 2022, 1:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bush DAC90 on bargain hunt +100 years of BBC

It was a nice clean example with a good tuning scale, so I thought £65 was reasonable. The auctioneer's valuation seemed low - he seemed unaware that DAC90As are particularly sought after.
Old 24th Oct 2022, 6:52 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Tony Blackburn said he would sign it!! not sure if that would increase the value haha
Old 24th Oct 2022, 7:00 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

I may be wrong, but I am sure the team's 'Expert' stated it was "Art deco 1930's" when they were considering it then, later on the auctioneer who had obviously had a quick look on Google stated " It was a very late valve radio still being made in 1960..." or something like that. I had a visitor at the time, so I was only half watching. I too thought the price was about right for what it was and condition.
Rich
Old 24th Oct 2022, 7:19 pm   #5
paulsherwin

The BH 'experts' usually think DAC90/90As are 1930s bakelite. You'd think they'd make the effort to learn about them, given how often they're encountered on BH buying trips.
Old 24th Oct 2022, 8:44 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Bush DAC90 on bargain hunt +100 years of BBC

Hi,
I finally got to sit down and watch my recording of BH, and avoid MiseryEnders into the bargain.
Just out of curiosity, are the cream urea formaldehyde sets any more interesting than the brown mottled Bakelite sets? I have one and have often wondered.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush DAC30 (2).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	266774  
Old 24th Oct 2022, 9:25 pm   #7
paulsherwin

They do seem to attract more interest from the 'design' people. They are more subject to heat damage though, so are rarely found in the immaculate condition that they look for.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 12:19 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
...later on the auctioneer who had obviously had a quick look on Google stated " It was a very late valve radio still being made in 1960..." or something like that.
Which is partly near enough true: I wouldn't call a 1950 design a "very late valve radio" as new models were appearing for the next 14 years or thereabouts, but it does share at least one published sales leaflet with the 1959 TR82.

Lower marks for the other "expert", not so much for not knowing when the DAC90A was produced as for demonstrating that he wouldn't know art deco if it bit him...

Paul
Old 25th Oct 2022, 12:31 am   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

Around 1980 I went with Dad to a 'bygones' auction in Cambridge; an auction house that sometimes features on Bargain Hunt/Road Trip; Cheffins, or as it was called back then, Cheffins, Grain & Chalk. There were 2 radios in the auction and Dad said he'd try to get them for me; a DAC90 or 90A and a 1920's wormy Lissen kit radio. First we won the Lissen, I think it made about £8. Then the DAC90 came up and it went up to £30 where dad pulled out. He was amazed it went for so much and I think even the auctioneer was surprised.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 8:40 am   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Around 1980 I went with Dad to a 'bygones' auction in Cambridge; an auction house that sometimes features on Bargain Hunt/Road Trip; Cheffins, or as it was called back then, Cheffins, Grain & Chalk. There were 2 radios in the auction and Dad said he'd try to get them for me; a DAC90 or 90A and a 1920's wormy Lissen kit radio. First we won the Lissen, I think it made about £8. Then the DAC90 came up and it went up to £30 where dad pulled out. He was amazed it went for so much and I think even the auctioneer was surprised.
In the late 70s I recall that the going rate for a nice DAC90 at BVWS swapmeets was £40, and remained that for decades. In fact it's probably in the middle of the price range now.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 8:57 am   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

The price achieved at BVWS auctions varies considerably, of course there is no knowing what the condition was...

https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/search.php?s=dac90

I put one on ebay about 12 years ago, I think it was a 90A and it sold for a low price around £25 ISTR. The buyer then didn't pay so after a while I relisted it and it went for a much more respectable price £70 ish it just depends on the day with any auction.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 9:04 am   #12
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Around 1980........the DAC90 came up and it went up to £30 where dad pulled out. He was amazed it went for so much and I think even the auctioneer was surprised.
That does sound a bit steep, though prices had been soaring for a while, mainly in the mid to late '70s. I started gathering radios in '68, when auction prices of valve sets rarely went beyond shillings. I still have the Philips 834A which set me back all of 7/- (35p), and Bush SAC25 and Ekco A22 bought off the back of a van, 2/- and 10/- respectively. Pretty much the only radio I ever broke for parts was a DAC90A, I was driven to try to save all the stuff I could but even Fakenham auction (plus occasional visits to Swaffham) had enough DAC90As appearing to persuade me that there would always be plenty of those to go round. I could be making it up, but my fallible memory has had ingrained in it for a long time that the Daily Mirror's "Old Codgers" column, which answered readers' queries, was one day asked which British radio model had been sold in the largest numbers, and the 90A was its answer - or did they say the Ever Ready Sky Queen? or both? or did they never answer such a question at all?

A few further remembered prices: in the summer of '72 a sturdy mahogany-cased three-valve homebrew set me back £1.50, and a 1927 Pye 555 portable £2. At the end of '77 I went off to university with £100 of grant to see me through the term for books and all, and to my dad's dismay when I returned home - something he rarely showed - I'd blown £15 of it on an Ediswan 1923B crystal set at an antiques fair. It was probably the following term that another £15 went on a Hacker Mayflower II from Durham's covered market, the first I'd seen since the one that had entertained us in junior school. I think by 1980 Tudor Rees in Bristol was asking £150 for Ekco A22s and Philco 444s, it wouldn't surprise me if his DAC90/90As were around £30 by then.

Paul
Old 25th Oct 2022, 9:05 am   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
The price achieved at BVWS auctions varies considerably, of course there is no knowing what the condition was...

https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/search.php?s=dac90

I put one on ebay about 12 years ago, I think it was a 90A and it sold for a low price around £25 ISTR. The buyer then didn't pay so after a while I relisted it and it went for a much more respectable price £70 ish it just depends on the day with any auction.
To clarify my post above, I wasn't referring to BVWS auctions, but ones being sold from members' stalls where £40 was the 'standard' price. I think the BVWS auctions started in the 80s.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 9:23 am   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I was in a shop when a customer came in to buy a new to him serviced DAC90, How much? that will be £120 please, I had to bite my tongue! as this was 29 years ago.
BTW the Bargain Hunt set was a DAC90A. (You would be extremely lucky to find a DAC90 with a perfect back) At first the print under the Dial Glass looked to be marked, later in the sale room it looked perfect, I think it was dust and had a few specks of rain at some time.

John.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 9:45 am   #15
paulsherwin

They have always been more desirable than other small 50s 4+R valvers, simply because of the way they look. They appeal to people who would like a round bakelite Ekco but don't want to spend the money. I know of more than one person without much interest in vintage radio who has a DAC90A on display.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 9:55 am   #16
Iangebbie
Tetrode

Hello folks, did a full upgrade, to a cream coloured one some years ago, Date stamped Sep 1953, no cracks at all on the top (Normally appear just above the UL41) removed the two pins at the rear, fitted a 20mm fuse holder in one position, and used the second for a direct entry for a three core mains lead (Yes three core) earthed the speaker grill.

If I can find the photos of the work I did I will upload them, Regards Ian G
Old 25th Oct 2022, 1:06 pm   #17
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
They have always been more desirable than other small 50s 4+R valvers, simply because of the way they look. They appeal to people who would like a round bakelite Ekco but don't want to spend the money. I know of more than one person without much interest in vintage radio who has a DAC90A on display.
I have a cream version, bought as not working and is in very good condition. I have many radios but this is the only one allowed in the main living area because it is aesthetically pleasing. I’d like a round Ekco but would not pay the going rate although looking at DAC90As prices seem to be lower at the moment so I should keep a lookout for one.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D2EB1A29-E700-4FBE-BF9B-4B5471283C79.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	266802   Click image for larger version

Name:	7CCD8813-2E7F-444F-80FF-131AE16BB25C.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	266803  
Old 25th Oct 2022, 1:10 pm   #18
paulsherwin

That's certainly a beautiful example John.
Old 25th Oct 2022, 1:22 pm   #19
stitch1
Heptode

Shows it's worth waiting for a good one to come along especially with a common set. And it was just the usual caps to get it going.
I should do something with the grille, it's not dented just a clean patch but didn't want to remove the patina (dirt!). I prefer my radios to look old but well looked after rather than pristine as new but that's just my personal preference.

Although it was in very good cosmetic condition I was surprised at the sale price on BH.
The auctioneer said it went to Cyprus, good luck with the courier!

John
Old 26th Oct 2022, 12:02 am   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

They are good looking sets, I suppose, sort of and relatively small, like the bits of furniture that always sell very rapidly, as they will fit in with a country cottage or a flat but I've never quite understood the appeal really.

More significantly, the BBC didn't bother to tell Radio Times that there was going to be a "special edition" of "bargain" hunt, their current tag, yesterday as they did with "strictly" etc at the weekend! This reinforces my comments [on the Antiques Road Show thread] about "faint praise" and limited enthusiasm overall.

Dave W
Closed Thread