UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2021, 6:14 pm   #1
PJay1966
Pentode

Default Age of a Philco Model 60 Record Player

Hi All

I have a really nice Philco Model 60 player, I have done a fair bit of work on it and today thanks to the advice on this site replaced the selenium rectifier it works brilliantly and I am currently sat here listening to Gladys Knight with a beer!

I was just wondering i have trawled the internet but cant find the year that this player was made, does anyone have an idea? I would really like to know just how old she is!
Old 21st May 2021, 6:46 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Age of a Philco Model 60 Record Player

According to Radiomuseum 1958

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_60_2.html

I suspect the date was derived from when the service information appeared in RTVS.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 22nd May 2021, 8:51 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These were first made in the Autumn of 1958. Most Philco record players from this period appear to be under-appreciated, particularly given the dominance of the inferior Dansettes. They used Philco US derived circuitry and all versions offered a very good bass response. This was usually achieved by using large value coupling condensors, multiple feedback loops and the largest possible loudpeakers.
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:28 am   #4
PJay1966
Pentode

Thanks guys that great info. I really love mine I’ve spent hours refurbing it and sounds and looks great! I can feel a bit of a collection coming on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7CFB59D-CA51-4272-AEA6-32D4B85448A0.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	234667  
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:37 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can see that the original BSR TC8S stereo cartridge is still fitted. Be aware this was one of the earliest Stereo cartridges ever made in the UK. By today's standards, these do have a very poor vertical compliance. Using this on old, already worn stereo LP's, may be fine, but on new releases it can cause premature wear to them.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:36 am   #6
PJay1966
Pentode

Ok, can you offer any advice on what a suitable replacement might be?
Old 24th May 2021, 5:36 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Are there 4 wires in the BSE UA8 tone arm, even though the TC8S cartridge may only have 3 connecting pins?
Old 25th May 2021, 4:25 pm   #8
PJay1966
Pentode

Yes indeed there are 4, blue, black, red and yellow. I spotted a post on here that suggests connecting the blue and black together on the tagboard which I have since done. Still working fine with the existing cartridge but I have also ordered a Ronette 105 from Musonic to try.
Old 25th May 2021, 8:02 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Oh dear.

I do not recommend the Ronette. Just like the BSR TC8S, it has a very poor vertical compliance and is expensive. You will go much better to use one of the many Denshi-Chou type red Chinese ceramic cartridges available in a standard 1/2" mount with a flip-under LPS/78 stylus. Easy to fit and about £14-00 from many suppliers. And it will load those UCL83's just nicely.