UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2014, 11:47 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Mains suppression caps

Following on from a conversation this afternoon I realise that not all AC sets have a Mains Suppression cap fitted, at least not in the conventional manner being across the mains. Are AC sets less affected by mains borne interference? The set I am referring to is a Murphy A252.
John.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 12:23 am   #2
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Mains suppression caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Are AC sets less affected by mains borne interference? The set I am referring to is a Murphy A252.
John.
Hi John, this will interest you. When the BBC did their confidential research report on the set, they said it had 'improved AM suppression' compared to the earlier A242 model. It's on the opening summary section in the report here.

Mains borne interference on AM, certainly in this household, is pretty dire!
Old 13th Nov 2014, 12:31 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

AM suppression means that the receiver, switched to VHF/FM does not respond to any AM present on signals. It's nothing to do with the 'AM' band or with mains interference.

Some FM signals acquire unwanted AM by frequency caused differences in amplitude... EG from multipath and this can be somewhat distorted. Poor transmitters can give amplitude variation as a side-effect of applying FM.

Good limiting in the IF is the main defence.

David
Old 13th Nov 2014, 10:20 am   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The mains suppression cap is indeed less important (to the point of irrelevance in some cases) in the case of receivers that have their HT supplied via a transformer.

In a well-designed mains transformer the primary winding and the secondaries are separated by an earthed electrostatic screen which prevents mains-borne 'nasties' jumping across through the inter-winding capacitance and getting into the active electronics.

In an AC/DC-style receiver the HT line is essentially connected direct to the incoming mains (via the rectifier) so nasties coming down the mains have a direct path for them to get on to the HT rail. The usual smoothing-electrolytics won't necessarily have a low-enough self-inductance to bypass such nasties to earth hence the 'suppression' capacitor(s) are needed.

Personally I don't like the usual suppressor-cap approach: I generally fit an outboard mains filter [common-mode choke on phase and neutral, caps betweenphase/earth and neutral/earth] - this setup can sometimes be scavenged ready-assembled and encapsulated in a nice can with 'blade' connectors from things like dead washing-machines.

If you can't find one, have a look at something like

http://export.rsdelivers.com/product...s/2192791.aspx

and put it in a diecast box.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 13th Nov 2014 at 10:26 am.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 1:08 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

For a valve superhet one of the strongest signals coming in on the mains lead can be the LO - the mains lead acting as an antenna. The rectifier in an AC/DC set then chops this at 50Hz (plus lots of harmonics) - the result is lots of hum all over the band. The mains cap stops this. On an AC set even a cheap mains transformer won't pass much RF so the cap is less necessary.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 2:18 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Hence the frequent presence of a capacitor across the rectifier in "AC/DC" technique to short-circuit it at RF. A replacement ought to be of good quality and 1,000V rating would be prudent.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 4:29 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Its an AC set, I now understand why no mains suppression is needed.

Thank you to all that replied, John.
Closed Thread