UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2018, 9:57 am   #1
AndyW NZ
Triode

Default Creek 5050 intermittent fault

Hello all,

I've been given a Creek 5050 amplifier to look at by a friend in my running group. It looks in great condition externally.

Apparently it has developed a fault where it runs fine for about 5 minutes, then suddenly the output vanishes. Given some time, and being turned off, the output reappears. I'll try and get more details during this Saturday's run, if the pace isn't too fast...

I imagine there's some type of (thermal?) protection circuit operating. I'm away from home at the moment so I haven't had a chance to look inside at the moment.

Does anyone have a schematic, and even better, some idea of what may be causing this before I put it on the bench and see what happens?

thanks for any ideas,

Andy
Old 19th Nov 2018, 12:53 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Creek 5050 intermittent fault

There are some threads on diyAudio about this amp with a suggestion that Creek may provide info if contacted. The failure you describe sounds very similar to one there...... you could be looking at something of an output stage rebuild (x2)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Nov 2018, 1:26 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

Just from photos online (e.g., 4th photo in the link below), it may have a thermal cut-out mounted directly to the heatsink, which looks to be associated with the main transformer wiring - so if when you say "suddenly the output vanishes", you mean the amp shuts down completely, that could be the protection operating.

https://muare.vn/posts/ampli-creek-5...ngland.3792626

IF that's the case, then either faulty thermal cut-out (probably unlikely), or as Chris says, overheating output stage (most likely). I'd start by emailing Creek anyway - it's free, and might help a lot.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 12:44 pm   #4
AndyW NZ
Triode

Thanks for the ideas. I've contacted Creek, and I'll see if I can get at least a schematic. I'll also take a look inside the 5050 once I get home,

Andy
Old 4th Dec 2018, 4:40 am   #5
AndyW NZ
Triode

Just to wrap this up, I fired up the Creek and it ran quite happily for hours. The owner then took it to a hi fi shop for a second opinion where it did the same thing. So perhaps the fault has gone away or is associated with particular speakers/wiring.

We'll see if the fault reoccurs when it returns to the farm and is put back into service....
Closed Thread