UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2012, 11:34 am   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default "Pop up" TVs

In the 1950s there was at least 1 TV where the screen could be lifted up out of the cabinet. This meant that the entire CRT assmbly was mounted on some kind of mechanism. Seems a bit of a daft novelty to me but they must have sold a few.

Does anyone know who made sets like this and their model numbers?
Old 15th Mar 2012, 12:42 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: "Pop up" TVs

I can think of two at the moment Jeff, probably not the ones you were thinking of. There was an American 'lowboy' set of the early sixties where the crt unit was in a wooden enclosure that pivoted up to view and lowered back into the cabinet when not in use to form an occasional table. The other was the early seventies Panasonic which was like an attache case with a pop-up 7" crt.
Neil
Old 15th Mar 2012, 12:45 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Jeffrey,
There was a 12" Philco set of 1948/9 vintage, the model 1707 I think and also the Ekco TRC1113 which used the scary looking 15" Mazda CRM151 CRT.

DFWB.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 2:00 pm   #4
petertheorgan
Hexode

I think Jeffrey is talking about the Philco Television set at the Museum that John (Heatercathodeshort) and I have just restored. I have to say it is the biggest (and some would say ugliest) 12 inch television I have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01394 (Medium).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	63954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01395 (Medium).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	63955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01402 (Medium).jpg
Views:	368
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	63956  
Old 15th Mar 2012, 7:02 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Philco Autoview [1948] and the Ekco [1950] are the only two receivers I can think of with 'pop up' tubes.
Were you thinking of making a novelty item for your living room Jeffrey by replacing the cathode ray tube with a plastic penguin?
As David says the Ekco 15" is a truly fearsome thing. 15" 52 degree round tube and 12kv MAINS EHT. Cabinet by Wells Coates. John.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 7:10 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

It's a little story. The other day I was at Nymans (National trust house and garden) just off the A23. In one of the rooms there is a TV with a customised cabinet. I got talking to the room steward and I guessed that the set was an Ekco. She produced a leaflet about the set which was a T164. Upon talking further she said she had appeared as a dancer on TV when it was based at Lime Grove. She had remembered a set with pop-up screen, I said I would find out what it was and let her know.

Thank you all for your help. I've now got some interesting information to send her.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 9:05 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The T164 is a 15" table model with an uprated chassis similar to the 12" model T161. I have one with a duff CRM152B CRT. The pop up TC1113 uses a similar chassis to the TS88 but with massive mods. J.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 9:50 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Im surprised Jeffrey hadnt seen the museum set . I like it but its HUGE ..The Ekco is more attractive . Back in the late 80s some friend of mine had one , but which model it was I cannot remember whether ekco or Philco .I just remember it popped up . They must be very rare !

I'm surprised Jeffrey hadn't seen the museum set. I like it but it's HUGE. The Ekco is more attractive. Back in the late 80s a friend of mine had one although which model it was I cannot remember but either Ekco or Philco. I just remember it popped up. They must be very rare!
Old 16th Mar 2012, 9:36 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Im surprised Jeffrey hadnt seen the museum set....!
I have seen it but couldn't remember what it was. Well done to Peter and John for restoring it.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 11:21 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

Not sure if it counts, but this large screen Decca projection TV from circa 1953 certainly has a pop-up screen!

I showed the leaflet to a colleague who told me that one of his mechanically-minded friends had recently installed his large flat screen TV in the casing of a defunct upright piano. He had made up a counterbalanced support arangement so that it would rise up out of the top when the lid was released.

There was also a swivelable 1960's Murphy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Decca large screen .pdf (295.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: pdf Murphy swivel.pdf (313.0 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 16th Mar 2012 at 11:29 am.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 7:24 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Philips also produced a two unit projection receiver. The separate screen looked like a radiogram containing the speaker. Pressing a button on the front brought up the screen that was very similar to the cine type. The receiver proper had a tape measure built into the cabinet that would allow you to get the distance from receiver to screen spot on.
It did 'pop up' but not a CRT! John.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 11:20 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Is that the one with the fluted woodwork? I remember both units in the great western Antique centre Bath . Mid 80s .There was an area set back where someone had a large space selling mostly Camera stuff .There was one there . It was rather large .I wonder if it still survives

Is that the one with the fluted woodwork? I remember both units in the Great Western Antique Centre, Bath, mid 80s. There was an area set back where someone had a large space selling mostly camera stuff and there was one there. It was rather large, I wonder if it still survives?
Old 17th Mar 2012, 2:01 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That is the TSC1113. J.
Closed Thread