UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2011, 12:15 am   #1
simonsradio
Tetrode

Default "Television" Magazine HomeBrew B&W Set

This thread (post 11)
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=37
reminded me of something. I still have two of the Television mag B&W homebrew sets, both still working (one in a homebrew cabinet, and one in te carcas of the old 405 line family set which I had, in my teens, "improved" to receive BBC2. D'oh! One of these sets was pressed into use in a domestic emergency just over a year ago after years of storage, when our area suffered a major and extended power failure and we were about to miss the Xmas special of Dr Who . In a mere 15 minutes, the homebrew set was extracted from the attic, worked immediately with the battery taken from the car to power it, and the episode watched in B&W and low light, just like the original series! The family were impressed and for a few weeks it seemed that they forgave the TV and radio hobby... Hmm, today that fix would be a bit tricker as a freeview box would have to be lashed in too...
Old 11th Feb 2011, 10:29 am   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: "Television" Magazine HomeBrew B&W Set

It certainly worked well giving a pin-sharp picture. I remember converting mine for simple remote control in the mid eighties using a module from a Philips portable and a touch tune pad...ultrasonic type.

SB
Old 13th Feb 2011, 6:00 pm   #3
simonsradio
Tetrode

SB, yes it was a good set although I recall that the AGC needed some mods to work properly. I used a homebrew ultrasonic remote for channel change with mine, although that seems to have gone missing over the years. I've still got spares for the IF modules somewhere, I think.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 7:36 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

I seem to remember that the sync was a bit touchy when used with external devices...I tried a ZX80 with mine and I had constant problems with frame sync. It was fine on broadcast though. I think the chip used (SN76544) didn't really like non-standard syncs. Probably could have been improved but I never bothered.

SB