UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2009, 9:03 am   #1
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Default 746 dial surrounds.

Hi there everyone, this is my first post so be gentle. I am new to these phones i have just bought a 746 in ivory and i am very pleased with my question is how do i change the outer dial surround mine is plain at the moment but i have an alpha numeric one. simple guide please i do repair computers but old phones are new to me. thanks in advance and a big hello to everyone Rich
Old 10th Aug 2009, 9:46 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 746 dial surround removal

Hi Rich,

Remove the casing; there's a single screw on the rear, release that (it's captive so shouldn't come completely out) then lift the casing off the chassis. It's a good idea to remove the dial finger plate first, I would add.

Next look underneath the case and you'll see the dial surround turns through 30deg, or thereabouts, then lifts off.

Regarding the dial finger plate; usually the casing will lift off with the plate in situ - but then you find it's a pain to replace the casing. To remove the finger plate; remove central label-cover insert, remove label, remove the single screw which will now be visible in the centre, then lift off finger plate. When replacing, do not overtighten that screw.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 9:53 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Darren said, it's easy. Make sure the cutout for the finger stop is in the right place before re-fitting the case.

You sometimes have to slightly flex the plastic "finger plate" (the "dial" with holes in it) to get the case back on. But removing it completely as D. suggests is another, sensible alternative. If you choose to do this, don't prise the label cover off with a screwdriver/knife etc. as you'll spoil it. Instead, pull it off with a suction cap, or using a bit of very sticky tape.

Note that if you have the older 706 model, it's held on with a metal clip instead.

Good luck,

Nick.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 10:41 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwk1 View Post
'...i have just bought a 746 in ivory and i am very pleased with my question is how do i change the outer dial surround...'
Out of interest, why would you want to do this? I understand that the 746 was never designed to have an alpha-numeric dial surround, although Bob's telephone page suggests that there may have been certain transitional models produced that did.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 11:04 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes indeed, I wondered about this too. One problem is that a telephone with an alpha-numeric outer ring should not have a numeric dial plate. Such would look non-authentic but, of course, it's the OP's choice.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 7:55 pm   #6
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwk1 View Post
'...i have just bought a 746 in ivory and i am very pleased with my question is how do i change the outer dial surround...'
Out of interest, why would you want to do this? I understand that the 746 was never designed to have an alpha-numeric dial surround, although Bob's telephone page suggests that there may have been certain transitional models produced that did.
We had a 746 at home when i was a kid but i distinctly remember it had the letter around the dial. As you say may have been a transition one but anyway would like to get it as close the the one i remember, sad realy but memories are funny things !!!
Old 11th Aug 2009, 6:08 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

As it happens I today came across the telephone illustrated below. Sorry for the absolutely atrocious quality; mobile 'phone, poor light - the usual excuses.

Two-tone green, it's a 746L and marked "AEG 67/1". That tells us it had an alpha-numeric ring from new and was manufactured by GEC at Glenross, Scotland, in 1967.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	746L.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	27895  
Old 11th Aug 2009, 6:19 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
Two-tone green, it's a 746L and marked "AEG 67/1". That tells us it had an alpha-numeric ring from new and was manufactured by GEC at Glenross, Scotland, in 1967.
Well slap my thighs and call me Nancy!

Made in 1967, it must've been one of the first 746's (the case-style shows it to be the 'old' type with the handset rest position not as pronounced as on later 746's) - a transitional one mentioned on Bob's page.

How do you get your manufacturer's details from AEG 67/1? I get the date bit, but do you have a list of manufacturing establishment codes or something?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 11th Aug 2009, 6:24 pm   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I do indeed

Incidentally, I've just edited slightly the thread title so we stay on-topic.
Old 12th Aug 2009, 1:03 pm   #10
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 746 dial surrounds.

That is similar to my one at home except mine had the colour coded rectangle on the top and was in ivory, but it had numbers in the dial and alpha numeric around the outer , so maybe my memory's were correct. I was sure i had numbers and alpha numeric but you guys on here know a lot more about this stuff than me but thanks for posting picture i know i am on the right track now!!!
Closed Thread