UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2010, 10:12 am   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default "TJK" Brand Television

Hi all.

Has anyone heard of a TV brand "TJK"? I was very kindly given a set by a member of the forum (Thanks Jon) which has the "TJK" brand label on the front. It's a 17" set using a rather strange version of the 8000A chassis; strange in that is has a varicap tuner and a 6-button control as used in the Thorn 3500 chassis.

I assume that it is some kind of rental brand or perhaps a brand sold by some specific chain of shops maybe?

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 11th Jul 2010, 10:30 am   #2
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: "TJK" Brand Television

Here's a picture of the set in question and the badge. Sorry about the poor blue convergence at the bottom of the picture. Something to get round to later today perhaps. Maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010055.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	37909   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010062.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	37910  
Old 11th Jul 2010, 10:50 am   #3
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Mike

Is there a model number on a plastic plate on the top of the chassis somewhere?
Old 11th Jul 2010, 12:55 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Tas.

The plastic plate says "No. 213800" and underneath that it says "8770". There is no mention of any brand inside the set anywhere. There was a seal on the back that said "TJK Warranty Seal" which Jon said he broke when he removed the back cover.

Thanks Tas.

From Mike.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 6:57 pm   #5
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Hi I might be wrong but it looks like a thron 8000 series poss 8500 the controls look the same
Old 12th Jul 2010, 7:10 pm   #6
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Mike.

I am wondering if it could be a overhauled set and they have stuck their own brand label on.

Just thinking along the lines of a company ( can't remember the name ) who overhauled and re badged a lot of JVC / Ferguson videos in the late 80's early 90's.

SimonT.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 7:19 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

I'm sure that brand were 'LOGIK'.

I think they were rentals of some kind. For example Decca sets were rented out by one firm under the name 'Classic'.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 8:02 pm   #8
jayceebee
Heptode

I agree with SimonT, looks like it's been refurbed and rebranded. 8770 is a Radio Rentals model number, the set would have originally been badged Baird I suspect and that front emblem looks a bit iffy.

Any chance of a picture of the plastic chassis plate Mike?

JohnC.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 8:16 pm   #9
Tazman1966
Nonode

Agreed about the Radio Rentals model number, but who on earth are TJK?
Old 12th Jul 2010, 10:40 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
I agree with SimonT, looks like it's been refurbed and rebranded. 8770 is a Radio Rentals model number

JohnC.
I would agree, there were several "firms" in the 1980s that bought up vast numbers of ex rental tvs and sold them as factory refurbished, usually from one day sales from hotels. We had one locally who traded as Stonewall Jackson!?
All rental company's names had been removed, the back covers were usually sprayed matt black, most being card backs rather than plastic. The blue Granada labels were simply sprayed over.
The sets looked fairly good from the outside but little was done to them electrically other than to get them working.
The Gurantee seal suggests that the set was sold, (probably as an ex rental) but the fact that there was a gurantee suggests that this was probably sold by someone who did it correctly!
just my 4 D 's worth!

Rich.
Old 12th Jul 2010, 11:05 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

With regard to the 8000 series. I believe it was only the Thorn owned rental companies that used a vari-cap tuner on the 17" models. The Alba, Ferguson and HMV versions were fitted the familiar Thorn four button mechanical tuner.

I do remember that a vari-cap four button channel selector was offered on a DER 8000 series set.
The tuning pots were located at the back of the receiver in a similar manner as the 3500 and 8800 models. The vari-cap buttons replaced the mechanical UHF tuner.

I remember those ex rental TV sales. There was lots of TX10 and TX100 sets which had the cabinets recovered with black Fablon. Made the sets look up to date like.

DFWB.
Closed Thread