UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2020, 10:42 pm   #1
Rick577
Diode

Default Akai GSC 730D with a playback problem

I know this is not the correct thread, but I'm new and didn't see how to do a new posting. In any case, I have an AKAI GSC 730D (auto reverse) with a playback problem. First, both meters work; when I play a tape forward, the left meter registers but not the right one and there is no stereo obviously. In the reverse mode - same tape - the right meter registers but not the left. Head, pinch rollers, etc., are all clean.

Last edited by AC/HL; 28th Jan 2020 at 1:48 am. Reason: Thread split
Old 28th Jan 2020, 10:00 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai GSC 730D with a playback problem

I do not know this cassette deck (or any cassette deck really), so may be way off with my comments.

To me it possibly sounds like an alignment issue with respect to the playback head and the tape. Have you checked the combined Playback/Record head adjustments, particularly height.

I assume the height/position of the Playback/Record head assembly is moved when selecting Reverse playback. I see from the Service manual that there is a head up/down lever, so I would check the mechanical setup of that which is done via adjusting the Play and the Reverse solenoids positions.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 10:10 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai GSC 730D with a playback problem

I'd be inclined to check the cable between the head and the pre-amplifier - a break in one channel would flip to the other side on reverse play if the head is being moved vertically.
Closed Thread