UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2021, 2:33 pm   #1
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Hmv 1115

Another resurrection in the can for me.

So far this is the oldest one i've worked on. Wasnt really much that needed doing but this set is very cramped making it just a little more challenging.

When I first go it I was happy to see it at least had all of it's valves. All original Marconi's in fact.
Most of the rubber wiring had started to decay quite badly including all the wires to the dropper resistor and speaker. I replaced all of that with some modern heat resistant wiring. Aside from the colour, i'm pretty happy with how that turned out. Unfortunately they didnt have any wires in "1940s brown". It was also caked in dust. Maybe it wasnt such a great idea to open it up on my living room floor ...

Looking at the underside it seemed to be all original with no previous repair work which is always a relief.
Some of the resistors were measuring a little high but since this wasnt going to be a full restoration, just a resurrection so to speak, I left them in place. Oddly the only resistors that measured high were the higher value ones. Anyhow, they werent far gone enough to cause any real problems (for now at least)

I replaced the paper and wax capacitors as they're over 70 years old and I didnt want to take any chances. Luckily there's not many in this set. I also replaced the electrolytics before powering up since they were both physically and electrically leaky.

Dial cord was also broken. I have fixed a new one in to the best of my ability. It doesnt track perfectly but works well enough for the moment. I also still need to fix up the cursor and re paint the back plate of the tuner scale since the original paint had started to flake off. I have removed the old paint altogether and at some stage i'll try and find some paint that's suitable.

First power up under the current limiter went okay. After leaving it on for a while I decided to give it the beans and see what happens. To my disappointment, nothing. Turns out a wire had broken off that I didnt notice when replacing the filter caps. After reconnecting that, it slowly crackled to life.

I have to say i'm very impressed by the sound for such a small speaker. I heard lots of people saying it sounds tinny and harsh but I cant say that in this case. Sounds a lot better than some modern radio's i've heard. I guess it's that slightly over the top push-pull output stage. Unusual for a small set but I believe this same chassis was used in radiogram models.

While there is still some minor work to do i'm very that I was able to make it work once again after being in someone's attic for the better part of 40 years.

I love this set mostly for it's quirky ugliness. The tasteless green and uninspired appearance make it dated in the best way and I just had to have it. It really looks like something from a long gone era.

Pictures + YouTube video attached below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkITdhFdZ4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-28 00.32.53.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	231048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE 2021-02-01 02:42:46.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	231049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-09 17.34.22.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	231050   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-09 17.34.31.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	231051   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-28 00.21.02.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	231052  

Old 6th Apr 2021, 2:56 pm   #2
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Hmv 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDumpsterCat View Post
I love this set mostly for it's quirky ugliness. The tasteless green and uninspired appearance make it dated in the best way and I just had to have it. It really looks like something from a long gone era.
They are strange-looking sets, indeed. I was wondering if the green was original, and looking at Radiomuseum, it would appear so. Well done on getting it going

Is the fascia plastic, then? I seem to remember that there's another set constructed in a similar way with a cream-coloured front. Might be a Marconiā€¦
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:02 pm   #3
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Re: Hmv 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDumpsterCat View Post
They are strange-looking sets, indeed. I was wondering if the green was original, and looking at Radiomuseum, it would appear so. Well done on getting it going

Is the fascia plastic, then? I seem to remember that there's another set constructed in a similar way with a cream-coloured front. Might be a Marconiā€¦

I'm no expert but I think the face is a form of plastic or bakolite. It's certainly not metal. Part of me thinks these HMV sets were effectively re-branded Marconi's.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:33 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I restored a very rough example of the radiogram version several years ago. It always sounded good. The dropper resistor had a couple of open sections on mine
Old 16th Jun 2021, 7:40 pm   #5
Andy Day
Pentode

I restored one of these some 30 years ago, and the bakelite front panel was painted that horrible green. In those days originality was less important, so I sprayed it a fetching chocolate! Did go quite well.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 8:37 am   #6
raditechman
Heptode

I have one of these sets. It also needed the internal wiring replaced.
Unusual to have Push Pull output in such a small set.

John
Closed Thread