UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2021, 12:07 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Pye P76F

Hi folks

picked up a Pye P76F from a local second hand shop, and after checking the set over I discovered that one half of the output transformer is open circuit. I have put a thread on the wanted section and galloway ( Brian) has responded to this. The cabinet is in fine state. When I get the transformer I can progress the work on the rest of it. More to follow.

Ken
Old 19th Apr 2021, 9:57 pm   #2
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Re: Pye P76F

Before you fire it up with a replacement o/p transformer, for goodness' sake check the coupling cap to the output stage (C35 on the manufacturer's sheet), or you may lose the new transformer very quickly.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 12:51 pm   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Yes did this anyway as part of my standard proceedure, the replacement o/p transformer is in and the only valve I had to replace was the ECH42 and the mains lead. It is a lovely sounding set now.

Ken
Old 20th Apr 2021, 6:57 pm   #4
PYE 405
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Tech View Post
It is a lovely sounding set now.

Ken
They are indeed one of the best sounding radios with good use of negative feedback to tailor the AM audio response for top performance. The only drawback is that the amount of negative feedback used can mask distortion produced by a failing EL41 output valve and associated components.
It is not until the output transformer fails due to excess current via the primary that anything wrong is noticed.
I would advise checking the voltage conditions of said valve (against the service data) to ensure conditions are remaining within limits, especially after a short period of operation when the set has reached operating temperature.