UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2021, 10:43 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Military Valve Amplifier Strip

Any information on this unknown please.

I've attached two photos - the ruler scale is in Inches.

1) Unfortunately somebody has removed the identity label on the unit - otherwise it looks to be unaltered. Modification label no.1 has a cross on it.

2) The unit has six B9G valves, three Brimar 8D3 / 6AM6, three Mullard EF91. Note they are civilian valves. The input is via the Flying lead, the output via a chassis socket.

3) Trying to follow the circuit makes it a six in line amplifier chain. The valve heaters are grouped as two sets of three in series, ie the heater voltage is approx 18 Volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	229282   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	229283  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 8:33 am   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Military Valve Amplifier Strip

Perhaps some of the Forum's experts on vintage military equipments can answer this thought of mine in my attempt to reduce the 'search space' for this amplifier?

Does the use of an 18 volt heater configuration indicate that the unit was used in an airborne environment?

Previously I had assumed that most airborne equipment was fed off A/C supplies (albeit at differing voltages and frequencies). However reading about the TR1985 Transceiver I found that it was run off the aircraft's 24 DC supply and used a 'carbon pile' set-up to reduce and regulate the heater voltage down to 18 volts. I guess this was because this Transceiver - and others like it - might be needed when the engines were not running.

So is this thinking leading me anywhere please?

Last edited by SteveCG; 21st Mar 2021 at 8:34 am. Reason: spelling
Old 30th Mar 2021, 9:17 am   #3
AlanC
Hexode

Hi Steve,

I would have said it was the IF strip from an airborne radar- and whilst you might automatically think military, actually such things have been commonplace on civil airliners as well, in the form of the weather radar which became available in the 1950's and is now a mandatory requirement on aircraft above a certain size.

Assuming this is the case, it will likely work in the 30-50MHz region and have a flat-top bandwidth of 1-2MHz. Normally the IF strip input would be connected to the output of a passive crystal diode mixer in the RF assembly (via that flying lead?), so all of the receiver gain is provided by the IF unit which is why it needs a lot of stages.

A lot of speculation going on here but I have a strong hunch you are right!

Alan
Old 30th Mar 2021, 10:14 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Such amplifiers are often arranged for logarithmic compression, which also benefits from a large number of stages, otherwise the range of amplitudes of returns is greater than can be displayed.

David
Old 30th Mar 2021, 6:29 pm   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try setting up a test rig and report back in due course.
Old 1st Apr 2021, 12:27 pm   #6
SteveCG
Nonode

A brief update:

It seems to work at about 45Mc/s - but its bandwidth is not great, possibly a couple of 100 kc/s.

I'm still working on it ...
Old 4th Apr 2021, 6:20 pm   #7
AlanC
Hexode

Interesting Steve, you could stagger tune it I guess if you needed a wider bandwidth. What's the sensitivity like? Do you have an application in mind for it? I like your use of 'proper' units for frequency by the way!

Alan
Old 5th Apr 2021, 11:35 am   #8
SteveCG
Nonode

AlanC,

Firstly, thanks for the units compliment.

Secondly, I've just put the unit away for the moment as I've other things to do on the bench.

The unit comprised a five stage band-pass coupled amp. The 6th stage is a bit of a puzzle for me as by tracing the circuit as much as possible (some components overlap in a tight space), I found that it is not complete, nay curious. The valve (EF91) almost certainly has a 10 kilohm cathode resistor for starters. Also the anode load is not present. I assume it was provided by the unit to which this IF unit was connected. However the connection between the anode pin and the output socket is via an RF choke and so the stage could not be just another IF amplifier. I guess this valve was being used in some form of detector mode ('anode' bend, 'grid' bend, or something like that??) I tried a couple of different resistor values as load but did get anything discernible on an attached 'scope.

Perhaps if this brief description gives a clue to somebody as to the unit's Government identifier it might make more sense!
Old 5th Apr 2021, 2:36 pm   #9
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
AlanC,

The valve (EF91) almost certainly has a 10 kilohm cathode resistor for starters. Also the anode load is not present.

Cathode follower?

Peter
Old 5th Apr 2021, 4:08 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

No, it sounds like the anode circuit is completed by the subsequent equipment as the anode pin goes to the output socket.

If there is lowpass filtering (capacitor) as well on the later equipment it elegantly also filters any noise pick-up, and also the constant current nature of the output from the anode of this equipment neatly avoids any voltage ingress from hum/noise loops. Current mode signal connection!

david
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:02 pm   #11
SteveCG
Nonode

Electronpusher0,

Just to confirm: It is not a cathode follower. Radio_Wrangler has re-stated the correct configuration.

I also tried a 400 c/s AM modulation RF input (at approx 45 Mc/s) to the unit - but did not get any demodulated output across an external resistive load (connected to HT) , which puzzled me. The valve was drawing current.
Closed Thread