UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2021, 11:20 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Toko Type inductor test jig

Hi Peeps. A few days ago I received a number of Toko Type inductors in the post from Jimbo.. one of our members.
However without opening every one.. its difficult to decide what they are good for, so I decided to make a test jig, specifically for Toko 5 pin formers.
I already had a fet buffer / impedance match for the Siglent Spectrum analyser / tracking generator , so it was easy to make another with an extra bit to accommodate the coils.
As the Siglent's Input impedance is 50 R a high impedance buffer is totally necessary, otherwise the tuned circuit is severely damped.
A trimmer cap of 6 - 25 pf is added to see what the tuning range could be.
The Siglent shows a 30 Mhz tuned inductor, obviously with a little bit of work to make adaptors any coil can be tested.

Another.. unwasted day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jig internals 1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	229034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jig internals 2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	229035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	229036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	229037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	229038  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 13th Mar 2021, 8:57 am   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Toko Type inductor test jig

I love the way you have made a proper test jig in a box with a printed front panel.
I think most of us would have just lashed something together on the bench.

Peter
Old 13th Mar 2021, 10:16 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Very impressive , love it . Mick.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 10:38 am   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Very neat indeed. With a few coils to test now and maybe even more in the future it saves also the frustration of say miniature croc clips, push on connectors or soldered wires coming adrift. Especially if these are not noticed immediately, leading to head scratching as to why a coil isn't testing as expected.

Back in the 70s, I made a "handheld" (10" x 5" x 1.75") 2M transceiver all on one dalo printed and etched pcb. I had obtained a load of reject Toko coils from a scrapyard just outside Skegness. Rank, Bush Murphy I believe it was had a factory in Skegness.
Using a gdo, I managed to use some for the 8MHx osc, 24MHz tripler stages, plus the usual IF. I think I may still have a few somewhere.
I believe the reason for reject was they had been put in the wrong position, so discarded and a new one fitted.
Your test box would have been a handy item for me then!
Rob
Old 13th Mar 2021, 11:40 am   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Thanks Mick, Peter and Rob. I am very fortunate to have the time..... my personal "no no" is "dead bug".... ok for trial and test but not as a final item. There are a lot of good constructors on this forum .
I was brought up on the "if it looks Right" philosophy..... I spent a lot of my working life making prototypes and Test jigs for production.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 19th Mar 2021, 9:58 pm   #6
commie1
Triode

Hi Wendy,

Nice job but you have a 150R source degeneration resistor feeding a 2n2222 buffer with an even higher emitter degeneration resistor of 560R, this should be the otherway around.
Next, you have a 78l08 regulator with a 100uF strapped across its output. Since when does one slap a bulky capacitor on the output of a control system?
Old 20th Mar 2021, 2:37 pm   #7
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Commie. Ok about the resistors.. I accept that... the 100 cap is 100 NAN not UFFF.

Just a bit of RF decoupling.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 26th Mar 2021, 9:44 pm   #8
commie1
Triode

Wink Re: Toko Type inductor test jig

Hi Wendy,

Just had a peep at your circuit diagram, it's 22uF not 100uF as originally quoted, my apologies, however 22uF is still a massive capacity to slap on the output of a control system. Actually, TBH many do this, whilst correctly this capacitor should be placed at the voltage regulator input and RC or RLC decoupling should be applied to each stage individually through local RC networks.

Cheers, Commie.
Closed Thread