UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2010, 9:00 pm   #1
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Rogers Cadet III valve amp.

Hi all.

I was in a discussion about vintage tech with my dad (he's much more into vintage audio equipment, me TVs and VCRs) and he asked me roughly what would his Rogers Cadet III valve amp be worth (just out of curiosity)?

I guessed at maybe £60 - £70 but does anyone here know what an accurate estimation would be? I don't know if the amp is working or non-working (he lives about 4 hours drive away from me so it's not really practical to go to see if it works or not just for a light-hearted discussion).

Thanks all.

Last edited by AidanLunn; 9th Aug 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old 9th Aug 2010, 9:47 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Rogers Cadet III valve amp.

Judging by recent ebay sale prices these amps can fetch between £200 and £300 (!) in good order. A lot depends on cosmetic appearance and the condition of the rare ECC807 valves. Lots of information about the Cadet III here:-

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/si...cadet3/amp.htm

I have one, cost me £3 at a bootsale a few years ago, nice sounding little amps...

Regards, Mick.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 9:37 pm   #3
kiwigirl
Retired Dormant Member

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about this Rogers Stereo Amplifier I found at a yard sale. It doesn't have any power going through it when plugged in. Is it worth anything as it is? It came with a box of valves.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rogers 1.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	46750   Click image for larger version

Name:	rogers 2.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	46751  

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 13th Feb 2011 at 11:36 pm. Reason: changing URL's to thumbnails
Old 14th Feb 2011, 1:30 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well it's not a Cadet, but an HG88. About 8 watts per channel from pairs of ECL86 valves.

Value- maybe £30 - £100 depending on condition. I got about £35 for one a few years ago which worked but had some noise issues.

Some info here:

http://www.suburbanambient.com/hg88manual.htm

(Doesn't seem to be anything "up top")
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Feb 2011, 4:05 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

You'll have checked eBay of course. The last HG88 to sell, as far as I know, went for £205. Unlike yours it was a Mk I (probably) and in good working order. But the sale was restricted to the UK which will have limited the price it fetched. As Herald1360 says, it depends on condition. Yours has something wrong with it which may be trivial (e.g. loose wire) or very serious (e.g. blown mains transformer). If you can't work out what the problem is then you'll be asking a buyer to take a big risk and that will make the price very uncertain. If you have a multimeter and feel like a bit of tinkering there are people here who can help you diagnose the fault.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Feb 2011, 7:25 am   #6
Trevor
Octode

I sold a Hg 88 last year for £120 it was working ! Same model as yours
regards Trev
Old 15th Feb 2011, 10:59 pm   #7
D_S_J_R
Heptode

I bought my first valve amp, a Cadet III, back in 1976 from an elderly gent who'd owned it from new. It was a gloriously "valvey" soft-clipper of the finest order and got me hooked on the glowing stuff. I bought it for £17 and sold it for £25 as I remember, replacing it with an HG88mk2 which sounded truly dire - harsh and nasty. Back then, the now regular art of capacitor changing wasn't usually done, so I sold the 88 in favour of a Radford combo, which itself needed caps changing.
Closed Thread