UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2017, 10:18 pm   #1
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Default Baird T163

I'm very fond of Baird televisions from the 40s they have beautiful cabinets. The wonderful restoration of the everyman by Line Sync made me wish to post about my two Bairds.

I have in my collection two T163's one in the dark wood cabinet and the other in the light wood.

From accounts of old TV service men I know the Baird sets were very common here especially the T163's. When TV started here in 1953 a lot of them were imported to Belfast as second hand sets for the coronation.

The sets are both in very good condition and myself and my missus have taken really fondly to the light one. The light one has a very flat face to the CRT And the darker one has a rounded GEC tube.

From what I have read they had a special line cord that used the cable as the aerial. Was this just a standard cable or did it have a box or something similar that allowed the user to connect a standard band I aerial if they wished to instead of using the cable?

I'd really appreciate any info on these sets as I'm very interested to know more.

I shan't be restoring any of my mains EHT sets for a long while as I wish to gain more experience first as the idea of mains EHT is rather scary. I have three of them these two plus an Invicta T105.

Best regards S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	141964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	141965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	141966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	141967  
Old 2nd May 2017, 8:29 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Baird T163

Hi, if you are not restoring these mains EHT sets for a while I suggest that you put them, or the transformers or power supply units in a warm dry place until you are ready to work on them. This should allow the HV stuff to dry out and may save an expensive rewind.

Ed
Old 2nd May 2017, 9:19 pm   #3
line sync
Heptode

Default Re: Baird T163

All the Baird televisions in this range had a sloping cabinet back which was removable to service the chassis.
I've only seen this model in the lighter colour cabinet.
Baird used a GEC 6503 c.r.t. in this model which is flat fronted, the other set with a more rounded front is probably a Mazda CRM92.
I know very little about the special line cord so perhaps someone else can comment on this.

Robin
Closed Thread