UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2017, 5:10 pm   #1
Oliver35
Pentode

Default Identify an IF strip?

I've just received a jolly little box of bits that I bought on eBay- some old 600v caps of the grey-metal-box kind, plus some slider pots and a few other bits and pieces. The really jolly part though, is this elderly IF strip with EF50s, two of which remain, although I've got loads of them floating around. The question is- what's it from?

Oliver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	141742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	141743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	141744  
Old 29th Apr 2017, 6:13 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Identify an IF strip?

Looks like a Pye D16T. John.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 6:38 pm   #3
Oliver35
Pentode

Blimey, looking at photos, it looks as if you're right. I'd convinced myself that it wasn't Pye, as I hadn't realised they used that sub-chassis assembly. Silly me. Now all I need is the rest of the set, I've always wanted a D16T. Maybe I'll just have to make all the rest from scratch.. Thanks John.

Oliver

Edit: Having looked through an excellent set of Flikr photos, it seems the caps and pots are also from B/D16Ts.

Last edited by Oliver35; 29th Apr 2017 at 6:47 pm.
Old 1st May 2017, 1:58 pm   #4
Oliver35
Pentode

Further examination of me box of bits and pieces, I find that I've got the EB34 from this presumably long-defunct PYE. Since the vision and sound detectors are both present and identifiable as EB91s, what was the EB34 used for? Sync seperation? DC restoration?

Out of interest, I looked up the valve lineup to see how much of it I actually had, which is most of it. I don't have, and up till now was not familiar with, the ECC34, so I had a quick look on eBay to find out how available they are. Prices seem surprisingly high for a non-audio valve, are they really that scarce? Or has an audio use for them been found? I hope I'm not drifting too far o/t with these explorations..

Oliver
Old 1st May 2017, 2:45 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The EB34, V3A is the interlace filter. J.
Old 1st May 2017, 2:52 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

The ECC34 seems to be another one of those valves whose price has gone sky-high. I can only assume that the audio brigade have latched onto them for some reason.
I'm just glad none of the equipment I'm interested in uses them!
Andy
Closed Thread