UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2017, 3:14 pm   #1
Hampus
Pentode

Default Philips VR550 fault

Hello,

I was not sure where to post this question since this machine is not that old compared to what we mostly discuss on this forum, but VHS machines are vintage and even obsolete in most peoples view. Moderators, feel free to move this post if you wish.

Anyway, I have a Philips VR550 VHS machine that usually works fine, but sometimes when inserting a cassette I can hear it try to start but fails and then shut itself off. This can also happen if i have left a cassette in it and try to start the vcr.

When i restart it the cassette is ejected and "EJECT T" is displayed on the screen. After one or a few tries it starts and works well. This is the kind of deck that keeps the tape around the drum all the time to make it more responsive when pressing play, rew, forward and so on.

As long as the tape is kept wrapped around the drum it works well so it seems like there is something wrong with the lacing-operation.

Everything looks clean and in good shape. This recorder has not been used much. I have tried to run it without the lid on to see what is happening but of course it worked good then

Since it either works flawlessly or not at all, I suspect some kind of switch or sensor?

Any ideas? Grateful for help.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 3:17 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips VR550 fault

It sounds like a dirty mode switch.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 4:01 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Clean the mode switch contacts with dioxit. Be careful not to misalign it.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:11 am   #4
Hampus
Pentode

I do not have much experiences of VCR's except from cleaning them inside but I have read a bit about how they work and I had also suspected the mode switch Tried to give a shot with contact spray at first but that did not help. The switch is in a somewhat awkward position but it was easy to remove the mechanism to get access to the bottom PCB where the switch is located.

The switch top part was snap-fitted to the bottom part and was easy to open. It was neither filthy or worn but quite tarnished even though it was well greased. I had to use a mild metal polish and a cotton bud to get it shiny again. The photo show it before cleaning and polishing. I smeared some vaseline on the contact surface and reassembled it. The machine seems to work fine now

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01443.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	141982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01444.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	141983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01446.jpg