UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2016, 8:35 pm   #1
Den Jerus
Diode

Default Ferguson 3208 reel to reel, Help Please

Hi all
I rediscovered this old tape recorder when clearing out my shed. It lights up and noise comes from the speaker but it takes a long time before any reel movement occurs, and there is no rewind activity at all. I'm guessing there are failed drive belts within.

My questions are as follows:
can I get drive belts for this model and if so where can I get them?
How do I fit them if I can get them?

I googled the model number and the answer directed me to a posting on this site dated 2009 with a link to a 2008 posting concerning a Pilot model of the same style (badged Thorn equipment was indicate)
I am hoping the clever chaps that sorted out that problem are still around and can help me, Or the recipients of that wisdom can pass it on.
Whatever, at least let me thank you for the time you have taken to read this post.
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 9:13 pm   #2
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 3208 reel to reel, Help Please

Does not need drive belts. The reel hubs move inwards to engage friction wheels for forward/reverse - the rest is friction.

If you press the amp/sup button down this will work as an amplifier - and you can try it with an line level input into the pu connector at the back if this works the electronics is (largely) ok.

You need the amp/sup button out to play tapes.
Hope that helps.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 6:30 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

The problem is due to dried up grease which stops the reel hubs from moving inwards.

You need to strip the hubs and remove then (use heat) the clean and apply fresh grease.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 5th Jun 2016, 1:47 pm   #4
Den Jerus
Diode

Many thanks for the swift responses guys
Got to get the brave shields up for taking it apart now.
Don't suppose there's a service manual on line I might sneak a peek at?

Your answers give credence to the fact that after the machine has been on for an hour, things start working (slowly)
I'll let you know how successful I am later.

Thanks again.
Old 6th Jun 2016, 12:02 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

This uses the well known Thorn DB deck. Robust and worth repairing. One of the best low budget decks IMO. With careful cleaning and lubrication it will soldier on.
Old 7th Jun 2016, 12:24 pm   #6
Den Jerus
Diode

I got a 4 page print out from the guys at the top right hand corner of these pages cos I have been trolling through this forum site and finding out as much as I can before potentially destroying this old machine which looks like a Thorn FTD4 model.
When operating the mechanisms for forward or rewind I noticed that the idler wheel was going nowhere and during removal of the chassis from the casing a small rubber item fell to the floor. It looks like it could anchor one of the small springs from somewhere.
Long story short, closer inspection from the FTD3/4 data sheet showed my deck to be very similar but a little different and One of the screws that holds the deck together would not budge and has been chewed a little by my screwdriver.
I will be abandoning the project now as I have won a Ferguson 3226. I have read posts in this forum so I will be able to transfer the audio from the tapes I made from 1970 in my old Navy messdecks from that one.
Meanwhile thanks to all the knowledgeable folk on the site here. your help has been most gratefully received, and I know where to come when I get stuck on my next project.
Thanks again all
Old 1st Jul 2016, 11:38 am   #7
hifigeek
Retired Dormant Member

Hi I just saw this post. I have a Ferguson 3204 which would seem to be an earlier model. Is this the same in that it doesn't require drive belts. I opened it up and there was a broken belt underneath the take up reel hub and one for the counter.
Any info would be very welcomed.

Thanks.
Closed Thread