UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2016, 6:29 pm   #1
PinkCupCake
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Cassettes chewed up only when recording

Hi there, just wondered if anyone can help me, its been a long time since I used my cassette player, its a midi system, works fine when I play cassettes, but today I had a bit of a problem, a friend wanted to listen to some of my mixing DJ tracks, I couldn't find my memory stick for my PC and don't have a CD burner on this PC, then had the brilliant idea of recording it on to cassette, I was sat here thinking. 'Great not long now.' The light was on and it said 'REC' Then it chewed the tape up, it did it with 3 new tapes, it only does it on record, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be please? Thank you.
Old 1st Jul 2016, 7:53 pm   #2
Dave Anderson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cassettes chewed up only when recording

Do you clean the heads, pinch roller and capstan regularly? If the tapes are new it might help if you fast forward then rewind the entire cassette to slacken any tightly wound tape before attempting a recording.

Dave.
Old 1st Jul 2016, 9:09 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
A bit more info about the make & model would be a big help, plus a couple of photos (we like photos )
Some machines only have the erase head in contact with the tape during recording, and it is withdrawn during playback. This may not be aligned correctly and causing the tape to run off course.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 11:01 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Some machines only have the erase head in contact with the tape during recording, and it is withdrawn during playback. This may not be aligned correctly and causing the tape to run off course.
Yes that and the fact that in record, more power is consumed are about the only factors that spring to mind. Seems more likely a machine will chew tapes regardless of whether it's play or record mode.
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 3:28 pm   #5
llama
Octode

Further to post number 3, some cassette decks use a permanent magnet for erase, pulling it away during playback. I can imagine such an erase "head" exerting more drag on the tape path during recording.
Graham
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 6:14 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

There is very little, if anything at all, that can cause a deck to chew tapes only in record mode, since the headbridge is in the exact same postion during playback. With the exception of very cheap and nasty mechs with permanent magnet erase heads, (usully in portable equipment) but that alone would not cause tape chewing.

If it is a Philips, the erase head may have disintegrated and gone sticky, causing the tape to adhere to the tape path.That's the only thing I can think of to explain this scenario.

Actually, if you tested it on playback with shorter/prerecorded tapes and tried recoridng on new c90s, the thinner tape may have been damaged by a bad pinch roller whereas thicker tapers survived.

we need pictures!
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 9:18 pm   #7
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Some cheap tape decks have permanent magnet erase. This is done by pressing a magnet against the tape ONLY in record mode. This is usually embedded in plastic with tape guides. Thus if these tape guides were out of alignment the effect would be to chew / mangle tape only in record mode.
Closed Thread