UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2017, 6:52 pm   #1
Scrapheap
Triode

Smile Resco GDM-8 Grid Dip Oscillator

I recently obtained one of these on eBay. It's Japanese made with 6AM4 valve I think, very solid construction and complete with set of plug-in coils. Cannot find any info or handbook on the web at all, anybody ever had one??
Old 11th Mar 2017, 9:56 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Resco GDM-8 Grid Dip Oscillator

Resco is not a brand that I have heard of previously, but sometimes products were sold in different countries under different names. I keep notes on just about every GDO I ever encounter.

What we need....is a picture .

B
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:01 pm   #3
Scrapheap
Triode

Smile Re: Resco GDM-8 Grid Dip Oscillator

Hi Bazz,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply - you're just what I need, a GDO-collector!
Here's the picture, second time lucky, my last reply vanished before <I could complete it! Actually, this unit is very sturdily made with a heavy metal case. I think it works but the deflection I got on testing a MW Rx was very faint, compared to my other GDO which is a Grundig transistor TR 300.

Many thanks for your help - what would be very useful at this point is a manual.
Best wishes,

Chris (HB9HFB)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	139131  
Old 12th Mar 2017, 12:06 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

A neat looking instrument. If no information turns up, at least the circuit should not be difficult to trace out.

Usually valve-based dip meters give clearer indications than transistor ones do, so you may have a fault in this one.

David
Old 12th Mar 2017, 4:13 pm   #5
IanG3XYV
Pentode

I have one of these but it's labelled Kyoritsu. I bought it new around 1968. Had some problems with the mains transformer but managed to rework it and it functions as it did. I don't recall the dip being very pronounced though.

I found the circuit on the net and have attached it here.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kyoritsu_K126A.pdf (17.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 12th Mar 2017, 4:14 pm   #6
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Forgot to say the valve is a 6AF4A.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 5:48 pm   #7
Scrapheap
Triode

Smile Re: Resco GDM-8 Grid Dip Oscillator

Dear Ian and Bazz,

Thanks a lot for the feedback and Ian, for the schematic. Looks like it might be worth replacing a couple of caps and checking the valve on my trusty Hickok 600, which is made for testing American tubes!
Old 12th Mar 2017, 7:01 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Interesting to see that is uses three 1pF 'gimmick' capacitors - just a couple of turns of insulated wire taken to ground. Value not critical.

I guess that the use of the archaic term 'uuF' rather than 'pF' dates it to maybe the 1950s or even a bit earlier?

Looks a nice piece of kit and luckily, with it's coils intact too.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 7:07 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Maybe 1,000pF feedthroughs?

Lawrence.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 7:36 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Ah Yes - I read1.000 uuf as 1pF but I guess it was 1,000 uuF, so you may well be right Lawrence.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 10:09 pm   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

And if we look at the very recent Post#33 in this thread http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...=134225&page=2 we find the same GDO was sold under the brand "Honor"; apparently very popular in Australasia.

The circuits of valve GDO's rarely deviate from a pretty standard design, so if some work better than others you'd have to think it was in the way they were was constructed.

I must get round to building a valve GDO.... or should I do the tunnel diode one first, as per Heathkit (it works on just 1.5V and yes, I have a suitable tunnel diode...I think) ?

B
Old 13th Mar 2017, 12:52 am   #12
Alistair D
Nonode

I suspect Kyoritsu will have been the original manufacturer. Many of their products appeared under different names including Eagle International.

Bazz: If you are considering a valve based GDO this looks like an interesting alternative approach. Post #17 on this thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=107489

Al
Old 13th Mar 2017, 1:52 am   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Well, the bad thing about that thread is that I was clearly talking about building a valve GDO back in 2014..and it's still all talk .

The EM valve is interesting, but I'd like to make a valve GDO which could be run on batteries so it is portable, and there's an Acorn valve with a 1.5V filament which fits that bill perfectly . The American "Megacycle Meter", built in the late 1940's and claimed by some to be an exceptionally good GDO, also used an Acorn valve.

I loved stuff made by Eagle!

B