UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2017, 10:08 pm   #1
Kentode
Octode

Default Bush TV 22. My first purchase.

Hi, I've been lusting over a TV22 I've seen, but my sensible head is telling me to ask you for advice!

I'm going in with a multimeter, and I'd like to ask, what should I measure to avoid buying a pup?

BVWS member
Old 19th Mar 2017, 10:53 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Bush TV 22. My first purchase.

There isn't much you will be able to do with a multimeter prior to sale, these are quite resilient sets, if the tube is ok then the line output transformer is the only real weak link. the frame oscillator transformer could be measured but might initially test ok with a multimeter only to fail on load, this is not a very expensive part to rectify though.
Old 19th Mar 2017, 11:57 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Like Stephen says, Tube, does it look ok from front? Can you get a meter on end of tube to test the heater, I think you should be able to take measurements without removing the tube socket. I guess it may be around 20 ohms others may know exactly, If you get a floating measurement many k ohms that could mean it is open circuit Most other parts are available or can be repaired. Another thought has anyone switched it on lately to try? If so watch out for charged capacitors.

John.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:24 pm   #4
Voxophone
Hexode

The CRT heater is easy enough to measure without removing anything. I did this recently on a set I was thinking of buying and I think it was about 3.5 Ohms, unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Other than that I'd suggest paying attention to the amount of corrosion on the metalwork, as this may give an indication of storage conditions and the likelihood of damage to wound components. Even very good examples seem to develop a bit of roughness on the chassis decks due to aluminium corrosion, but if the vertical surfaces are heavily corroded (such as the dropper shield) it might suggest the set has been stored in the damp. I'm not sure how consistent this is across many sets but it's something I've observed on the ones I've seen.

Liam
Old 20th Mar 2017, 2:14 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
what should I measure to avoid buying a pup
I'm afraid it's very much as others have said. Transformers such as the line output are unobtainable and there's been a few people asking for them in the wanted section - unfortunately, they're going to have a very long wait, so re-winding is the only option.

Basically, make sure the set's complete and has the back cover, and that the tube's not been 'necked', and pay your money and take your chance!
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:47 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Actually, there is one thing that's fairly important to check and that I forgot to mention, and that is to check that the mains tapping adjustment hasn't been set to 200 volts rather than the normal 240 volts, as this was a common trick 'back in the day' to get a bit more out of a set that had basically 'had it'.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 7:41 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Completely agree but there were quite a few areas including London where 200v mains was the norm so not always a disaster. J.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 9:47 am   #8
Kentode
Octode

Well, I've calmed down over the weekend and decided it's not for me! The asking price was £200 but a quick Web search suggested £50-£100 would be nearer the mark.

I read the radiocraft restoration pages and as it involved melting pitch, and I'm not allowed to "melt radios" in our brand new kitchen, I'll let someone else take this one.

I can see, though, that such an amazingly iconic set will be snapped up quickly. I'll just have to wander around, nosing the air, until I smell burning pitch!

Thanks to all for your inputs, I'm going to ask more questions around the television display at Golborne.

BVWS member
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:48 am   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I think at least £150 is the going rate for a nice original TV22. Most through my workshop have had a very good CRT.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:53 am   #10
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

If you are interested then search "Bush TV22" on ebay and you will find much cheaper offerings

Cheers
Old 21st Mar 2017, 11:15 am   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I am indeed surprised but to keep to forum rules wont make any further comments.

Not that I need another.

Thanks,

David.

PS I think Ken should get one as not difficult to sort but always sort after.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 1:27 pm   #12
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
I read the radiocraft restoration pages and as it involved melting pitch, and I'm not allowed to "melt radios" in our brand new kitchen, I'll let someone else take this one.
I don't think it's strictly necessary to melt the pitch off the LOPT just to get the set running. It's more of a future-proofing measure to help it run cooler. I wasn't brave enough to try it on mine! Instead I removed the metal surround from the LOPT which I hope will increase the airflow a bit.

My experience of eBay prices has been the opposite of others on here. I've seen a good number sell from £250-300+ over the past year.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 4:10 pm   #13
beery
Heptode

Hi Kentode,
The TV22 LOPT like in other sets is sensitive to damp.
Pitch covered LOPTs seem to draw in and trap moisture.
Part of the reason that the TV22 LOPT apears to be worse than others of its era is because the Bakilite cabinet can look great even if stored in very damp conditions. A wooden cabinet however would show up the effects of the damp.

If you get the chance to see in the back of a TV22 that is for sale then have a look to see if the aluminium chassis has any white speckles of corrosion. There are nice ones to be had and the LOPTs are more likely to be ok.

Another option is the TV22A which has a much more reliable LOPT. These are rare, but not worth any more than the TV22. It has minature valves only, so maybe not so interesting in that regard. The TV22A is easily spotted by its plastic tube neck dome.

Cheers
Andy
Old 21st Mar 2017, 5:15 pm   #14
Kentode
Octode

"...not difficult to sort but always sort after ". That, David, is the best argument for spending money I haven't got on something I don't need! Thank-you.

An opening bid of £50 is tempting...

BVWS member
Old 21st Mar 2017, 5:41 pm   #15
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Oh dear! I must be a stirrer.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 5:48 pm   #16
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
An opening bid of £50 is tempting...
We are not allowed to discuss such things on this forum, but a little 'back' research will indicate that this set is likely to go for a lot more money than that '£50'. When I last checked on prices of these sets, probably over a year ago, £50 was about the going rate, but it now seems that prices are going through the roof, so now is not a good time to buy, although it may well be a good time to sell.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 9:22 pm   #17
Kentode
Octode

Techman, your wise words and my wife's, (where would we put it!) have made me realise that now is not the time!

Unfortunately I forsee prices for these attractive "Retro" Bakelite goods
holding firm until all the hipsters have decorated their waterside apartments!

BVWS member
Closed Thread