UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2017, 6:05 pm   #1
Osiris69
Tetrode

Default No 150 candlestick questions

Bought 2 no 150 phones at auction today.
Can anyone tell me why the cutout on the receiver cap is there? (See pic)
I have 2 and same cut out on both although caps are slightly different, one stamped GEC, other just 2 C.
One of the receiver cases has gone a brown colour, any advice on getting it black again other than paint it.?
One has a no4 top that has been crossed out replaced with 150, other side AK22 with 236, other phone 150 PX25 234.
Both are marked CB on bracket. No4 dial plate in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	138196  
Old 25th Feb 2017, 7:06 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: No 150 candlestick questions

The cut-out on the receiver cap is so that sound (especially the howler to alert the user to the 'phone having been left off-hook) can still be heard if the receiver is left earcap downwards on a flat surface.

As to returning browned-off ebonite to its original black, it is supposed to be possible, but I have always found that those who claim to achieve it are unwilling to share their secret.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 8:31 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
The cut-out on the receiver cap is so that sound (especially the howler to alert the user to the 'phone having been left off-hook) can still be heard if the receiver is left earcap downwards on a flat surface.
You never stop learning on this forum, well done Dave.

John.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 3:14 am   #4
Osiris69
Tetrode

Thank you, I learn something new here everyday be it telephony or radio.
Great idea, would have been left out these days as a cost saving measure, a great way to to tell if it's right for the model. Thanks Russell and Dave.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 10:55 am   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

You are lucky to have found any with the ebonite intact. It is actually hard rubber and has usually broken off leaving the brass structure visible.

If you rub the ebonite with your hand to warm it a bit you will probably be able to smell a rubbery smell.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 11:55 am   #6
PJL
Dekatron

There is a picture of mine which is in pretty good original condition in post 12 in this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ht=candlestick

It's an antique, don't try to make it look like a replica!
Closed Thread