UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2020, 4:42 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Can't see the wood for the trees...? Hallicrafters S20 AGC.

Anyone know the purpose of R13 in the schematic in the link below?:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbym...6/M0008856.pdf

Its value is given as 100 Ohms, SW1 is the AGC on/off switch, so far as I can make out with the AGC switched off the AGC line is pegged to the +ve voltage that's developed across the 6Q7's cathode resistor (I get that bit) The other associated resistors are of a very high value compared to the value of R13.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Jul 2020, 7:40 pm   #2

Default Re: Can't see the wood for the trees...? Hallicrafters S20 AGC.

There is a somewhat tortuous path directly across some capacitors, the small 100R would stop the switch being hit by a large current when switched. An old dodge (best practice) to lengthen switch life. I still see reset switches on microcontroller circuits directly across 100nF or so, they don't last long.

Old 14th Jul 2020, 8:06 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Can't see the wood for the trees...? Hallicrafters S20 AGC.

The source voltage to the 100 ohm resistor will only be a volt or two at most.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread